turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend an all around choke?

Started by houser52, January 29, 2012, 08:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houser52

Hello to all. I found this site while searching for choke information and have to say that this is a great forum. Lots of good turkey hunting info and everyone seems to be well mannered.

I've read through lots of good choke info on the site over the last few days. It seems everyone is striving for good pellet numbers in the 10" at 40 yards target.
OK I understand that a hunter, me included, wants to be able to kill a turkey out to 40+ yards if the need arises but, is there a choke that will produce good even patterns at killing distances both near and far?

Thanks

fountain2

Welcome bud...there's several good ones...and some are even sponsors here.  A good custom choke maker will work with you and build what you/your gun wants.   

Also, give us a run down on what your current set up is please.

houser52

Right now I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 24" barrel and also a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel. I don't have chokes that are Hevi compatable yet. I plan on patterning Hevi-13  #6 and #7 shot.

gooblnfever

lots of good chokes

find sumtoy on here and he will work with you on the right choke for your gun.

:welcomeOG:

jtg88

Welcome.  Several guys on here like Puregold chokes.  They might not be the tightest patterning choke available, but they marketed as throwing nice, even patterns.

houser52

Quote from: gooblnfever on January 29, 2012, 09:14:07 PM
lots of good chokes

find sumtoy on here and he will work with you on the right choke for your gun.

:welcomeOG:

Did a SumToy search and read a few posts. Good reviews and comparable prices to the other bigger brand names.

Thanks

Old Gobbler

Quote from: houser52 on January 29, 2012, 08:51:58 PM
Hello to all. I found this site while searching for choke information and have to say that this is a great forum. Lots of good turkey hunting info and everyone seems to be well mannered.

I've read through lots of good choke info on the site over the last few days. It seems everyone is striving for good pellet numbers in the 10" at 40 yards target.
OK I understand that a hunter, me included, wants to be able to kill a turkey out to 40+ yards if the need arises but, is there a choke that will produce good even patterns at killing distances both near and far?

Thanks

regardless of make of choke or ammo

Your not going to be able to cover two bases with one choke - Those very tight turkey chokes amplify  aiming errors at close yardage exponentially -  its the trade off you get for toting a tight shooting setup - And by aiming errors I am referring to a gun not shooting point dead on , and any operator error - a open choke will seriously cut down on your effective killing range -

A gobblers  head is small at at any range, and up close so is your pattern , that head can get to bobbing if he spots you, slap the trigger or rush the shot.... and off he goes at mach 1 - In my opinion it is harder to kill a gobbler at 14 yards than 40

I recommend a good quality extended choke , and some premium ammo - get to patterning the gun , and where it throws the pattern (low, high , or if your lucky dead on ) I strongly recommend you browse the guns forum or... post up your exact make of gun and I am sure a member will chime in no time who has done all the hard work already - and will tell you what combo is bad news on gobblers and shoots tight

you want to use dense , tight , even patterns out of a straight shooting gun -

--Shannon  
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

houser52

[/quote]regardless of make of choke or ammo

Your not going to be able to cover two bases with one choke - Those very tight turkey chokes amplify  aiming errors at close yardage exponentially -  its the trade off you get for toting a tight shooting setup -

--Shannon  

[/quote]

That was the answer I was looking for. 
I've done a lot of choke research on this forum and can probably find a good choke to start out with.

Thanks

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Near and Far are both sacrified for each other in this game.

If you want 25 to 40 Yards to be a piece of cake, a standard .040 constriction XFull choke with Hevi13 7's, 6's, or Magnum Blend would be a nice even wall of pellets from 25 to 40 Yards.  Especially the 7's.

houser52

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on January 30, 2012, 01:07:06 PM
Near and Far are both sacrified for each other in this game.

If you want 25 to 40 Yards to be a piece of cake, a standard .040 constriction XFull choke with Hevi13 7's, 6's, or Magnum Blend would be a nice even wall of pellets from 25 to 40 Yards.  Especially the 7's.

Shooting the Hevi-13 #7 in both guns, I figured I'd try an Indian Creek .665 in the 24" Benelli and a Jellyhead .655 in the 20" 870.

What do you think?

SKFOOTER

I would reverse those.  Shoot the  Indian Creek .665 in the Remington 870 and the Jellyhead .655 in the Benelli M1.

honker22

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 30, 2012, 02:12:29 PM
I would reverse those.  Shoot the  Indian Creek .665 in the Remington 870 and the Jellyhead .655 in the Benelli M1.

^^^ what he said
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

houser52

Will the JH .655 in the Benelli  be really tight at closer ranges?

bird

Quote from: houser52 on January 30, 2012, 10:38:41 PM

Will the JH .655 in the Benelli  be really tight at closer ranges?

Too Tight buddy.... Open that up a little.  You can tighten your choke too much and blow your pattern all to hell.  I would suggest staying in that .665 - .670 constriction area.

SKFOOTER

I've been shooting the Jellyhead .655 on my Benelli M1 w/21" barrel for years with the Hevi-13 #7's  and I've had no problem killing gobblers from 10 to 50 yards.  You'll just have to pattern it in your gun and decide for yourself.