OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

*******Important Message for Osceola Turkey Hunters**********

Started by Gadget, February 19, 2011, 09:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadget

Never thought I'd see the day........... but I'm glad it's here. I live in Ga but hunt on public land every year in Florida.

Received this in an email a couple days ago.

Here's the quote

QuoteThis email is being sent on behalf of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's (FWC) Wild Turkey Management Program to individuals that have valid Florida turkey and management area permits, or a license that contains these privileges (e.g., Sportsman's license), and for which a valid email address was included in FWC's license database. 
We want to notify you of a new rule that was approved by the FWC in response to increasing concerns expressed by Florida's public land turkey hunters.  Beginning this spring turkey season, only shotguns using shot no larger in diameter than No. 2 shot (e.g., 2, 4, 6, etc.) may be used to take turkeys during the spring season on wildlife management areas.  Bows and crossbows may still be used on areas where they are allowed. But all rifles, pistols, buckshot and slugs are now prohibited for taking turkeys during spring seasons on wildlife management areas.  Exceptions are Joe Budd WMA, Raiford WMA and Santa Fe Swamp WEA, where muzzleloading rifles are still allowed because these areas are restricted to primitive guns during the spring turkey season.  The new firearm restriction was approved after the management area brochures were printed; therefore, the brochures do not include this rule change.   
The new firearm rule does not apply to turkey hunting on private lands.

OLE RASPY

Gadget

Cove

Old Gobbler

It took about 20 years for them to get this done -  people were getting shot left and right

I want to thank the people who got this done - you know who you are  ;)
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gadget

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 19, 2011, 09:38:57 PM
It took about 20 years for them to get this done -  people were getting shot left and right

I want to thank the people who got this done - you know who you are  ;)

They sent me a comment card about turkey hunting over this past summer, wrote a whole paragraph on why rifles shouldn't be allowed for turkey hunting...... maybe it helped.

I've heard a couple other stories as well, head of FWC retired and he was a rifle turkey hunter, now that he's gone they can change the rule. Covehntr said there was a fatality last season that had something to do with the change also.

Spurs

R :groupwave: I bet you boys down there sleep a little easier.  Maybe you will get lucky in a couple of years and they will make it state wide.
This year is going to suck!!!

FttFttVroom!

Wow, good thing they did something about that.  I was never aware rifles were legal there! Scary!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions