turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI Why I have not used

Started by agturkey, January 28, 2012, 01:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I fell into the hevishot craze years ago when they were in remington green shells. I loved them then and still like them today with one huge exception. The price that they are asking for these shells is utterly rediculious. 6 dollars every time I pull the trigger is bogus at best. I will be returning to the federal flight control shells that have been killing turkeys for me for years. Dead is dead. I have way more no flop or long range stories with the federals than I ever will with hevishot. Sad to say but they priced themselves out of my market.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Longshanks

Winchester XX 3/2/6's  $16.50

Hevi 13  3/2/6's  $19.99

Being able to hit a turkey with twice as much shot at 40yds and more knockdown potential than Pb 6's is worth it in my opinion.Just a few dollars more for devastating results.
:z-guntootsmiley:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Longshanks on January 31, 2012, 11:12:11 AM
Winchester XX 3/2/6's  $16.50

Hevi 13  3/2/6's  $19.99

Being able to hit a turkey with twice as much shot at 40yds and more knockdown potential than Pb 6's is worth it in my opinion.Just a few dollars more for devastating results.
:z-guntootsmiley:
What you failed to mention is the Win.XX are TEN round boxes. The Hevi-13 is FIVE rounds. That makes the Hevi's $4 a round and the Win. $1.65. That's a BIG difference.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

drenalinld

Aren't you comparing a box of 5 shells to a box of 10?  Still worth it in my opinion.

Longshanks

Yup..but it's still worth it when you drop your money on the counter..1.65 to 4.00 is a few dollars difference. Actually it's 2.35  :morning:

Twice as much shot in the turkey for 2.35 to be exact. I'm ok with that..a 20 oz coke is close to 2.00 in some places. If your gonna be cheap about something don't let it be the shells. In most places you can only kill three turkeys. 12.00

Longshanks

Funny story..friend of mine was complaining about the price of shells last year. I asked how many turkeys he killed that spring. He said 1. (4.00) we added how much he spent on every thing else: lease, gun, gas, food, etc........3000.00+ :begging: he stopped complaining about 4 dollar shells. There is an old saying "eating an elephant and choking on a flea"

Tom Foolery

Here is the way the converstion goes around here:

H13 shooter - "you ready for turkey season?"

Lead shooter - "yeah man, can't wait, got a brand new blah blah shotgun, a new lease and a new truck"

H13 shooter - "I just got the same gun, what are you shooting from it?"

Lead shooter - " -insert any lead shell you want- shoots good, you shooting the same?"

H13 shooter - "those are good shells, should work great.  I am shooting the h13 shells"

Lead shooter - "oh Lord, I can't believe you shoot those, they are too expensive, they are slow, you must have more money than me, I could not imagine giving that much to kill a turkey, you are crazy, your Mom is old, your dog is dumb and your kids stink!"

H13 shooter - "hmm, ok, they shoot good though."

Lead shooter - "I don't care, my lead shells are just as good and they cost less, and they are good and they cost less, and I have killed every bird I have ever shot at out to 157yds!!!!"

H13 shooter - leaves.........

I have never seen a H13 shooter down anyone for shooting lead, but the reverse happens quite a bit. 

Myself I shoot both, I'm crazy like that though.

drenalinld

I'm thinking of spending 10-12 $ per shell to load TSS. Still the cheapest part of turkey hunting!

Tuttle

$4 per shell isn't that much when you consider the big picture.  There are $200+ decoys, $200+ box calls, and quality camo clothes are crazy high.  I'll pay $4 per shell if that's what works best in my gun ( and it is btw).  I know others will work but if I can optimize the performance of my gun/choke combo with hevi 13 I will gladly do it.  On the QC, I totally agree with everyone.  I wish they would stop messing with it every year.

DC101

As said previously, the cost of your shells is the least of the expenses involved in turkey hunting.

Here in Michigan we can only kill one Tom in the Spring, I opt to go with the load that patterns best for me regardless of price. Depending on which gun I use it is either Hevi 13 3-2-7 or H13 3-2-6.