turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI Why I have not used

Started by agturkey, January 28, 2012, 01:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

As a young man when Hevi first came out it was this color shell, this years shell not as good as last year, can not find the same shell, buffer is different, shot is different etc. etc. etc.

Now that being said have they become better on quality control.  The rebates and sales on this stuff makes it more appealing now.  I know lots of people have the following things to say now that worry me.

* Does not shoot as hard as the Xtended Range
* Lot number this is good Lot number that is bad
* Got X amount in a 10" last year this year its 40-60 less

I am all about finding a great shell but lots of things tend to keep me from buying HEVI SHOT from Environ.

Be nice see them set up at some of these shows where you could buy it by the round instead of having buy a full box (All ammo companies should try this!).

Would just like some others insights I am sure this will get tore to part but it is just my knowledge of the product over the past several years.

I can honestly say I have never fire one round of it but hundereds of others.

ncturkey

I am one who fought the Hevishot craze for a few years. I broke down and bought me a hevi-Shot captiable choke. Bought some Hevi 3" 3-2-6 loads for my Remington. I got some good patterns. I then polished my barrel and I got awesome patterns. It is many times better that my old lead loads and it even patterned better than Extended Range ammo too. I have taken 6 gobblers with Hevi 13. Lucky I have 2 1/2 boxes Hevi 13 3-2-6 ammo that I got the great patterns from. I feel your pain with the ever changing of these Hevi 13 loads. This is a good reason to get into reloading your own Hevi 12 ammo and TSS loads. The handloading section here has great info. on the subject. I still will buy the Hevi13 stuff to try. There are a few on here could give you the good Lot #'s. You should be good. I would befriend some of the guys on here about this. There is alot of good folks on here willing to help. Lead will still get the job done but Hevi 13 boost my confidence with just awesome patterns at 40 yards. I feel if I do my part the gobbler will not escape it pay load. Just my thoughts.  Good Luck, Mike

rempumpman

I haven't joined the hevi-load shell side either; I am in no way saying that I'm not nor ever will but the remington nitro's and the winchesters supreme's hasn't given me an excuse to try them yet; I just love killing turkeys and I truly love trying to get my turkeys 25 yards or less; at that distance, the nitro's and winchesters does good enough for me..................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

WyoHunter

Hevi-13 for me! Killer patterns!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BOFF

We talk about the number of pellets in a 10" circle, because it is a measure we can see, and experiment with ourselves. I believe most men, like to tinker with their hobbies, to see if it can get any better.

However, you can't get any better than dead, for a shot at turkey. Dead is dead!!

1 pellet in the circle or 329 in the circle. As long as it hits its mark, it's a dead turkey.

We just like to improve our odds of hitting the mark.

So, with the above being written, it really doesn't matter if it's lead, or TSS shot, as long as the pellet hits its mark with enough penetration.

God Bless,
David B. 

bawana

Quote from: BOFF on January 28, 2012, 11:04:46 PM
We talk about the number of pellets in a 10" circle, because it is a measure we can see, and experiment with ourselves. I believe most men, like to tinker with their hobbies, to see if it can get any better.

However, you can't get any better than dead, for a shot at turkey. Dead is dead!!

1 pellet in the circle or 329 in the circle. As long as it hits its mark, it's a dead turkey.

We just like to improve our odds of hitting the mark.

So, with the above being written, it really doesn't matter if it's lead, or TSS shot, as long as the pellet hits its mark with enough penetration.

God Bless,
David B. 
X2

runngun

Even with the "bad" lot numbers, Hevi will still out pattern lead.  But the 10 inch circle, trying to get the best pattern you can. At the end of the day, it is just the boys playing with their "toys".  And then we play some more, and some more and so on. The hunt, before the hunt and I enjoy it.

Good Luck and God Bless
             Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

agturkey

Quality control just seems to be a big issue with their product when looking at the whole picture.

nyhunter

Quality control, changing internal components, poor crimps seal, sub sized shot, inconsistent 10" pattern numbers, price. Are all problems with H-13. I love to hate them, I love them when they throw good patterns ,I hate them when a shell out of the same box shoots 30 less pellets in a 10" circle. In the end even the worst one's would have killed a big old Gobbler at 40 yds,and the worst  patterns were still better than the lead shot that i have used in the past," and killed a truck load of Gobblers with".

redleg06

I shot hevi 6's for a good while now and ALMOST decided that i was going to the 7's last year when I saw all the numbers being put up....then the numbers (specifically on the 7's) seemed to really drop off when they changed some things.... So I went back to the drawing board and started shooting TSS handloads.

TrackeySauresRex

It's working for me right now. I believe it patterns better then my lead did. The Q.C, I don't get it either. If you have a great product why not stay with it. It's not just hevi. it's alot of the ammo Co's. I believe they have us all over a barrel,there always changing recepies. WHY?????? So we continually spend money! (JMO)  you see it with the slug industry. It cost alot of money to sight in a slug gun. Then they'll go change the fps. Or discontinue it all together.  :character0029: They have us right where they want us. Just another one of my conspiracy theories.
:deadhorse:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

vaturkey

Up until last year I shot Win Supreme #5's & killed a ton of gobblers. Well I decided to jump on the Hevi Shot bandwagon. Not only do they pattern better but they will flat out slam a gobbler. They surely made a believer out of me. Hunting here in these Va. mountains when you shoot a gobbler on the steep side of a ridge & he flops 200 yds over a rock bluff the recovery is sometimes tuff. With the Hevi Shot you rarely have to worry about that anymore. Almost always the bird wont hardly even flop.    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

goblr77

Quote from: vaturkey on January 29, 2012, 11:45:32 AM

Up until last year I shot Win Supreme #5's & killed a ton of gobblers. Well I decided to jump on the Hevi Shot bandwagon. Not only do they pattern better but they will flat out slam a gobbler. They surely made a believer out of me. Hunting here in these Va. mountains when you shoot a gobbler on the steep side of a ridge & he flops 200 yds over a rock bluff the recovery is sometimes tuff. With the Hevi Shot you rarely have to worry about that anymore. Almost always the bird wont hardly enen flop.    :newmascot:

The only thing better than Hevishot is Nitros or handloads. Win XR will hit a little harder but the smaller payloads don't pattern as well at longer ranges. If I can keep on killing birds at 50+ with Hevi 7's I can see no reason to not shoot them.

Longshanks

Hevi 13 is hands down the best load that is available on the market today for turkey hunting..shot intros for years but the loads seem to be loaded too hot and are ridiculously expensive. Win XR patterns..out of all of my guns..wouldn't touch the Hevi 13 patterns. IMO if a turkey hunter has not tested Hevi 13 in his or her turkey gun...big mistake. I've seen average patterning guns at 30-35 yds turned into amazing patterning guns at 40-45yds.  On the other hand..maybe folks should cut back on buying Hevi 13..maybe the price will go down. :z-winnersmiley:

ddturkeyhunter

Got a new Remington 11-87 and needed to pattern it to day to see what I had. I tried five different brands and six types of shells. Every shell I tried would have killed a turkey at 40 yard's like a person wants. So I tried out to 50 just in case of misjudgment and the two Hevi 13 came out on top with maybe the Mag blend being a little better not sure. Because one had one half ounce more of shot then the other so I don't know how you would recalculate for that. Any way I am know looking at the Hevi 13 magblend in 5-6-7 that I was using, just wondering if it was from a good lot or poor lot. Where do you find the number, do you use the number that is under the bar scan, and if so the entire number or the first or last part. The number on the box I am using is 16383 4205. Where do I find the information on good lots and bad lot numbers. I'm sorry to bother you guys for this information if it has been posted some place else already.