OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 choke?

Started by Trevor2, January 26, 2012, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHooks

x 2 My 670 didn't throw that even of a pattern I got a more even pattern with the IC 665. You will just have to see what choke your gun likes. One thing for sure if you don't like it you can put it on the classifieds here an it will sell so your not out anything. One thing forsure you can't go wrong with IC PureGold JH..

bird

Quote from: BigHooks on January 28, 2012, 11:05:18 AMYou will just have to see what choke your gun likes.

Exactly... Every gun has its own personality. What works in one may not work in another.

rempumpman

I never had a problem with the Jelly head but to be completely honest, I never had a problem with the remingtong factory extented xx full choke shooting nitro's number 6 in a 3 inch magnum; also have used the remington nitro 2 3/4 inch mags thru the same choke and wouldn't be afraid to shoot at a turkey at 40 yards; it just depends how deep in the wallet you are willing to go;

I fully agree that it's nice to be able to shoot at long distances, but also remember that one can shoot too "tight" of a pattern because not all turkeys are killed at 40 plus yards; I have killed just as many turkeys with 2/34 in mags as I have 3 inch and I would be safe in saying that most of my turkeys, not all, has been killed 25 yards and less; good luck in your search.............rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

CHEVYTRUCKPULLER

I have a remington 870 supermag i am shooting 3 1/2 inch 2 oz 5 shot Winchester supreme. I just bought a primos jellyhead at 45 yrds it is a real good pattern.

ElkTurkMan

My main squeeze is an 870 special purpose mag, and when I was shooting lead the tru glo gobble stopper did the best out of my gun.  It is a very inexpensive choke but it did real well.  Now I use the hevi shot choke tube witht he hevi shot ammo. 

BigHooks

Jeremy that's what I was hoping last year when I saw Birds pattern, mine wasn't even close as Birds but I was using 7s also not 6s I don't how big of a difference that made. There's not two gunsthat shoots the same either...

redleg06

If I were you and had to choose between a more expensive choke or more expensive shells, I would personally go with hevi Shot shells and get one of the less expensive chokes.

Lead USUALLY isnt going to perform as good Hevi (almost without fail) and you can get some decent chokes to shoot hevi shot, for relatively cheap, if you watch the classifieds. Wingsupply.com also runs pretty good prices on some chokes.  A Jellyhead with some Hevi shot 7's usually going to beat a factory lead shell with ______________( insert any choke name here ) combo at 40 yards 8 days  of the week.

All that being said, Im a PG guy and love them with both Hevishot and now TSS.  I've had good patterns with JH .665's also and IC .665 but PG has always produced good even patterns.