OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 choke?

Started by Trevor2, January 26, 2012, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I have an 870 special purpose and I'm finally gonna break down and get an outstanding choke but I'm not sure which. Pure gold or ic. Now I won't be shooting hevis bc I just can't spend that much on a shell so which would you 870 guys reccomend?
Strutstopper

Gobble!

If your on a budget get a primos jellyhead. With lead I would recommend the .660

Trevor2

Do the jellyheads perform near either of the ones I mentioned? I shoot Winchester supreme high velocity for last few years and have 3 boxes left so I would like to keep shooting them for now if they might pattern well out of the choke I end up getting.
Strutstopper

Gobble!

With hevishot shells the answer is yes. When it comes to shooting lead I can't tell you for certain.

tyelper

rhino or jelly head,,might even consider indian creek

FttFttVroom!

If you are shooting winchester HV lead shells, I used a Kicks .665 gobblin thunder choke and those shells in the 3.5 inch #6 and killed dozens with that combo out of my 870 SM.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Trevor2 on January 26, 2012, 08:04:31 PM
I have an 870 special purpose and I'm finally gonna break down and get an outstanding choke but I'm not sure which. Pure gold or ic. Now I won't be shooting hevis bc I just can't spend that much on a shell so which would you 870 guys reccomend?

If I were shooting the Winchester HV shells, I would choose the SSX without question. It's very difficult to beat that choke in that gun with those shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gophert

I agree...why spend all the money on a gun and choke and then run cheap, inferior ammo through it.  Yes...all ammo will kill turkeys, but I like walking into the woods knowing my smoke pole will deliver when I pull the trigger.  You can't go wrong with any of the above chokes.  

If money is an issue...buy the Jelly Head at $45 and then go by some Hevi #7s.  Your total outlay will be about the same as buying the IC or PG by itself.  

bird

Pure Gold .670 H13 3 1/2" 2.25oz #6

Pure Gold .670 H13 3 1/2" 2.25oz #7

Pure Gold .670 with H13 3" 2oz #6

Pure Gold .665 with H13 3" 2oz #6

IC .665 with H13 3" 2oz #6

nyhunter

I have had good luck with kicks.655 and win. lead. I get mt best patterns from a jellyhead .660 and H-13 #6"s.

Reloader

My best #6 lead chokes in my 870s have been the ICBDS 665 and JH665.  The JH660 and Ventilator 655 were not far behind. Wins were the best loads I tried.

For a 45yd rig, it's all a man needs. Some guns will even make 80 counts out to 50.

chipper

I used to get some good Lead patterns with a Remington Ventilator choke shooting winchester HV #6.

sugarray

Quote from: slickyboyboo on January 27, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: Trevor2 on January 26, 2012, 08:04:31 PM

When you look at turkey hunting, ammo, is probably the least expensive thing you will purchase over the course of the season, and if you don't use it all, you will have it for the next year. I would go ahead and invest in some high quality ammo, it makes all the difference in the world.

As for a choke, .660 JH, .665 IC, or .670 PG will all do a fine job.

This is the best thing said here.  If you spend $70 on a PG or $80 on an IC and shoot a box of $20 shells, you have spent $90-100.

If you win this auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primos-Jelly-Head-Turkey-Choke-Remington-12-Gauge-Shotgun-/170771400947?t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2c4c8f3#ht_500wt_1202) on a JH and then spend $33.20 plus shipping on 2 boxes of 3" 2 oz #6 Hevi Shot from Cheaper than Dirt, you are going to have better patterns and have spent the same amount of money.  Granted your shells are more, and you are paying for 5 and not 10 shells, but you see what I'm getting at.

R AJ

If I was strictly using lead as your question concerns, for the price and performance I would get the Truglo SSX .643 as Clark Bush suggested . I have this in the 550 for a 20 gauge and have had good patterns with it.
As for the shell for this choke let the pattern tell you that.

Another very good lead choke is the Truglo Gobble Stopper Extreme choke for number 5 lead  and some number 6s.

My next two choices are the Hastings and the H.S.Strut Undertaker in the lead only choke. Get that bird inside 30 yards and most any of these will get your bird after you see how they perform.

These chokes apply to the 20 gauge as well. SSX -550, GSE 565 ? and Hastings 562 and HS Strut 562?? can't remember.

bird

PS.... I had also patterned a JH choke at the same time as the above chokes but the patterns were so bad and inconsistent that they weren't even worth the time to take comparison pictures of.  The SSX and the IC chokes were decent but didn't even come close to being as consistent as the PG choke.  But more importantly was that not only did the PG throw the best numbers consistently but it also threw very even and full patterns which to me is the most important issue with a turkey hunting choke.  No Holes in the Pattern!

bird