turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nitto Tires

Started by OLE RASPY, January 24, 2012, 07:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

I was gonna dig the tire thread up that we had here long ago but just figured i would start a new one.

I couldnt decide what kind of tire i wanted but didnt want nothing real aggressive.
I purchased a set of nitto crossteks for my toyota tundra.They just came out first of last year and they are expensive but i believe im going to likem.We got our first snow the other day and they they got some bite to them.Also good in wet weather to.
But i do believe when these wear out im not going to spend that kind of money on another set.I have 5000 miles on these and they still look good spose to be a 60000 mile tire i guess we will have to see.

stinkpickle

I haven't tried those.  I have about 50,000 miles on a set of Terra Grapplers, and they still have about half their tread depth left.  They've jumped in price over the last few years (like all tires have), but I'll probably buy them again.

Neill_Prater

Bad news is, all tires have basically doubled in price the past few years. Good news is, virtually all of them last longer than used to. When I was younger, 40,000 miles was really stretching it on most tires, now, if you don't drive a lot, like myself, you have to worry about age more than the mileage. Neill

Tail Feathers

Glad you like them.
I just bought the Cooper AT3 for my Toyota Tacoma.  It's a bit stiffer ride than the factory Rugged Trails but the traction is much better and they look great. 
Only time will tell on wear, I only have about 350 miles on them.
They may be a tad louder, hard to say for sure.  I lost about 1 MPG looks like but I did go up a tire size so it's hard to say for certain.
Got four and a front end alignment out the door for $750.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Grunt-N-Gobble

I'll add my 2 cents...........  Haven't tried the Nitto tires, but they were up on my list when I went shopping for tires back in November.

I ended up getting the newer BFG Rugged Terrain tires for my F150.  Stiffer over stock Goodyears, better grip and has done well in the snow and mud so far.  They pick up more stones than I like, but I'll accept it since its a more aggressive tread pattern.

I too lost about a mile per gallon, but they are a heavier tire over the stock GY's.

Beretta686

I sell passenger, light truck, and medium truck tires in my service department.

Nitto's are a tire that the dealers are able to make some more margin on. They are a decent tire and any warranty issues have been handled. I don't sell a lot of them, but that is what my distributor told me.If your dealer is treating you right, they should be $40-$60 per tire under a BFG and $80 or more under the big three. Your big three Bston, Gyear, and Michelin all have other brands that they manufacture. Firestone, Kelly, BFG. Same technology goes into those tires as do the parent compant. Remember Bstone Dueler M/T? great aggressive tire bridgestone didn't sell enough so they just branded the tire Firestone.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

OLE RASPY

Yeah yall right all tires are high but i gave $1135.00 with a one year warranty and balance and rotation lifetime of tire.275 65 18
That is high to me.I will just wait and see what they do for me.

El Pavo Grande

The Cooper Discoverer A/T3 is awesome and American made!!!  It has a silica-based tread compound which correlates to being cut/chip resistant, as well as excellent wet traction.  They grip the road well and you can tell it in the handling.  55,000 mile warranty....Cooper will stand behind IF there are no slightly wear issues or too much tread depth.  Zero hassles if worn to 2 or 3 32nds(at the most) and worn evenly across the tread.  It's becoming popular with Natural Gas / Utility  companies that can be in some abusive terrain.  But, it seems to be doing great on full time road applications as well.  It ranked #1 in Consumer Report's All-Terrain Class, over Michelin, BFG, Goodyear, etc.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed with it.  

Prices?  Yeah there has been some major increases that are industry wide.  Raw material prices have skyrocketed, most notably the natural rubber.  That's difficult to curtail because the natural rubber production is so limited and controlled by just a few producers.    

El Pavo Grande

Sorry, didn't intend to come across the way, just noticed someone mentioned the Cooper A/T3.  Nitto is a good tire and is definitely a player in most markets these days.  I would have to look, but that's probably not a bad price, especially with free rotations for life of the tire.  The key is buying from a reputable dealer that provides a good service and stands behind the product with a warranty, even if you pay a little more for that service.

Ol'Mossy

I run the Cooper Courser HTR tires on my Tacoma, this is the 3rd winter with these on and they still have good tread and traction

and believe me I put alot of miles on in a year

turkey slayer

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 24, 2012, 10:27:11 AM
I haven't tried those.  I have about 50,000 miles on a set of Terra Grapplers, and they still have about half their tread depth left.  They've jumped in price over the last few years (like all tires have), but I'll probably buy them again.
I had those on my last truck and I loved them.

Muskie03

Absolutely love my Terra Grapplers!!!!!!!!
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Cove

Quote from: georgiaboy83 on January 24, 2012, 02:06:36 PM
I have a BIG boy truck  ;D and I run Nitto Mud Grappler 37x13.50x22 and I am on my 2nd set and will be buying a 3rd soon. They are the best tires I have ever had on my D-Max, I am getting about 50k out of a set. I had a set of Open Country MT's they lasted 9 hole months, biggest waste of money I ever spent! It's Nitto's all the way for me!

What are you giving for a set? I've got 37x13.50x20 SS Iroc's on my Cummins and am getting about 35k out of them.

CASH

Quote from: georgiaboy83 on January 25, 2012, 10:43:18 AM
Last set cost me $2200 and they are still close to the same!

Ouch!  Glad I'm friends with the Goodyear man
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Reloader

I'm running Cooper Zeon LTZ all terrains on my GMC 1500 4x4.  I have about 40k on them and they still look to have 75% tread.  Pretty impressed so far.  If you like Nitto TGs, take a look at the LTZs.  Alittle more aggressive than most AT tires, but not quite an MT.  I did lose 2mpg over stock GY street treads.

275/55/20s ran me $560 shipped for the set from Discount tire.  Had a $50 gift certificate at the time.  I've noticed they went up since I purchased mine.