News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Holy Grail of 20 Gauge Turkey Guns

Started by mike103, January 23, 2012, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike103

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270768060

If I did not own one already I would buy it.

Hell if I had the money I would buy it as a back up!  :lol:

vaturkey

Vaturkey

Eric Gregg

Man that is a sweet looking gun. I love the 870's.
That is a good looking camo job on that gun too.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey slayer

Longshanks

Nice gun..not sure about Holy Grail but to each his own..Beretta/ Benelli in 20g get my vote :z-guntootsmiley:

RailRoader

mike103

Quote from: Longshanks on January 24, 2012, 01:29:06 PM
Nice gun..not sure about Holy Grail but to each his own..Beretta/ Benelli in 20g get my vote :z-guntootsmiley:

Well I was being a little facetious in my title but I will take a crack at it.

It's really apples vs oranges.

The 870 is a pump, camo stock, turkey choke, rifle sights, sling for under $600 bucks.

The Benelli M2 is a recoil operated autoloader, with camo, bead sight, standard choke tubes for MSRP of $1,519.00.

That is quite a contrast.

For full disclosure I own 14 - 870's and 10 - 1100's and one 11-87 so I am a Remington guy.

That being said I also own a Beretta 682 Gold E and a Beretta Tekny Gold so I am not averse to spending money on high quality guns.

But I'm not spending 1600 bucks on a autoloader with an outdated operating system.

gobblergls

Like the search for the Holy Grail, searching for info on the Remington site is tough. Any idea of its weight?

mike103

Quote from: gobblergls on January 25, 2012, 07:04:47 PM
Like the search for the Holy Grail, searching for info on the Remington site is tough. Any idea of its weight?

It was discontinued in 2003.

Mine weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs.

A dream to carry compared to my 12 gauge 11-87.

WyoHunter

Me too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

runngun

I too prefer my Beretta 391 20 gauge. Beauty is in the eye of the gun holder !!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

chatterbox

Dang, that's a nice gun! :icon_thumright:
If I had the cash, I would pick that up for Harrison. He's gonna outgrow that Rossi in a couple years.

Longshanks

Quote from: mike103 on January 25, 2012, 07:01:32 PM

Well I was being a little facetious in my title but I will take a crack at it.

It's really apples vs oranges.

The 870 is a pump, camo stock, turkey choke, rifle sights, sling for under $600 bucks.

The Benelli M2 is a recoil operated autoloader, with camo, bead sight, standard choke tubes for MSRP of $1,519.00.

That is quite a contrast.

For full disclosure I own 14 - 870's and 10 - 1100's and one 11-87 so I am a Remington guy.

That being said I also own a Beretta 682 Gold E and a Beretta Tekny Gold so I am not averse to spending money on high quality guns.

But I'm not spending 1600 bucks on a autoloader with an outdated operating system.

I will have to agree with your description of Berettas/ Benellis  " High Quality Guns"

I have several Rem 870's but i dont think im gonna claim that they are better than all other guns. They are dependable..but i prefer to let kids and women shoot my 20 guages when i take them turkey hunting. The Rem 870 20g with magnum turkey loads kicks like a mule on the youngsters. You can get a beretta 390 20g for 550.00 by the way. I also bought a beretta xtrema 2 , 24 in turkey gun for 850.00 from bass pro as a blemish gun because the camo had one scratch on it.  Im not sure where you are looking at Berettas/ Benellis for 1600.00 but that is way over priced.The beretta 390 20 guage has a smooth trigger, light recoil, will shoot just about as fast as one can pull the trigger and the weight of the gun is minimal..ive seen adults and kids short pump 870's in the excitement of shooting a turkey and hang them up. Beretta/ Benellis come with ribbed barrel and all the chokes needed so that the gun can be used as an all around gun. My Berretta 390 turns 170's in a 10@ 40 during turkey season... is an awesome dove gun in september and i shoot ducks with it in Jan. That is not what you can do with the 870 20g you posted unless you want to buy another barrel. That 20 guage with rifle sights and no rib is basically a one trick pony.  I prefer to choose my own sights and turkey choke so coming with that doesnt mean a bonus for me.
*Just a few reasons why if i had my choice i might upgrade from a Rem 870.
*I own two Rem 870's and shoot them.. and one of my favorite turkey guns is a Rem 870 12g gun i have turkey hunted with for 37 years.  I've spent more money on that gun over the years and though I love it..it still won't touch the patterns out of my berettas. All I did to them was screw a choke in the barrel and put the right shell in them.