turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

JOURNAL

Started by wcgobbler, January 20, 2012, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcgobbler

Tom Kelly's writing convinced me years ago to keep a turkey hunting journal, and I am so glad I did.  I've only killed 24 turkeys, and every single one of them is documented in nauseating detail in my journal, right down to the weather condition.  It is a treat to be able to take a stroll down memory lane of hunts from years ago, anytime I want.  I highly recommend that if you haven't done so yourself, start this season.  Better yet, write down anything you can remember from a particular past hunt or hunts NOW.

One day, when I retire in 25 years or so, I may publish my Turkey Hunting Memoirs....coming to a book store near you!

FullChoke

This is a great idea! Worth starting one regardless of how old or experienced you are.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

deltaeta

I started one this past deer season. Plan on carrying it this spring as well.

runngun

I started on mine about 15 years ago. I only think i remember all my hunts, but reading about them sure rings that bell. Do it for all hunts as well as fishing. I can read all about my sons first squirell, fish, duck and deer. It makes it super special.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

guesswho

I wish I had done that, it would be cool to be able to sit down today and read about the hunts I saw through my eyes as a child 45 years ago, even 10 or 20 years ago would be cool. 

I wish I could stay focused long enough to start one now, but I know it won't ever happen.  I'm to easily distracted.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mnturkey

I have been keeping a journal since 1984 or so of all my hunting, Deer, turkey, grouse, phesant, ducks.
Even if I do not get anything.
I found a journal and keep getting pages copied.
Basically a fill in the blanks fo weather, game , who was with me, where I hunted and a area for notes.
I can go through it and see the hunt and the people who were there, It takes about 10 minutes every night to fill it out.
It also quells arguments at hunting camp about who has the biggest deer.
SEMPER FI

turkaholic

I started after my fist year back in 1987, I had no clue the journey I was about to take. I look forward to looking over hunts of past. It get my blood boiling and gets me  thinking about the areas I hunt. I have most of  my kills  downloaded on google earth from my GPS. When I get to turkey camp my brothers love reading over the journal. If there is a question about who got what or what was herd on a particular day or year, its most likely in there. A journal is an asset because you can't remember every detail. Just reviewing it can give you ideas and help you recall areas that maybe have gone cold, and need to be revisited. It takes some dedication. Taking the time to get it all in there, when you can barely keep your eyes open. Its worth it.
live to hunt hunt to live

njdevilsb

My dad has been doing this for about 10 years or so for each one of our hunts, deer and turkey.  Every night when we get in, he jots down a paragraph or so about the hunt, successful or not.

GobblerChaser

I have been doing it for my turkey hunts since I started. I am not as diligent as I should be and I do miss hunts, but I do my best.  I had to give myself permission to not be too upset if it isn't totally completed all the time.  But it is tons of fun to go back and read old ones.

Keep it up, it will be worth it.

Safe and Happy Hunting!

Follow me on twitter @GobblerChaser.

pseshooter300

I keep a hunting journal myself
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

MDbowman

Been doing that since 1983.  Lost one of my books during a move, which is unfortunate because it has my son's first few years of hunting in it. Around 2001 I switched over to an Excel spreadsheet. New page every year for duck, deer and turkey with another sheet just for deer kills.

Gobble!

I have an excel sheet I started 2 weeks ago. I started turkey hunting on 05 and still have a good memory so I remember the 16 birds I have harvested. I just write about where I was and how the hunt went nothing too specific but enough that I remember it like it was yesterday.