OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need some in put on 5's

Started by SumToy, January 20, 2012, 09:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: Spuriosity on January 22, 2012, 08:43:29 AM
Quote from: agturkey on January 21, 2012, 10:37:02 PM
I shoot sbe II factory full choke 3.5 xtended range.  I have several guns that collect dust now with nice aftermarket chokes and optics on them.  If it kills geese at 50 yards I thought why not turkeys after pattering on a turkey target I can tell you about 40 gobblers later I love 5 xtended range.  Come see me at NWTF convention and a buddy can back me up on an 85 yard shot.  His bird was hit bad at 25 yards and his gun was out of shells.  The bird was held by two feet upside down and packed out.  I really think 5 is a great killing size in lead and better than lead choices.  Some guns just like certsin shells...I know 5 lead use be used with lot of 835s with lots of 60 yard kills.

Talk about your golden BBs. Not bashing you, Agturkey, shooting at a wounded animal is certainly a different case than shooting at an uninjured one, but I would love to see an 85 yd pattern with 5s of any material from any gun. Yes, WW XRHD 5s have the energy to kill at 85 yds, but the probablility of putting one in the vitals (i.e. head or neck) at that distance, including the 2' of holdover required, is extremely low. Please, please nobody try this at home.
I agree.

WiLL B

I shot lead lead in #4,5 and 6's for years and eventually settled on 5"s. When Remington loaded the Heavyshot I shot #5's in an Undertaker HS choke would put over a hundred in 10" circle at 40 yards and 80 to a hundred in 10" at 50 yards. These would smoke a turkey but Remington and Heavy parted ways. So I shoot Nitro's in straight heavy 5's now through a Rhino 660 and get around 150 in a 10" circle at 40 yards and around a hundred at 50 yards and this load will smoke a turkey. But the shells I got last year didn't do as well probably about 20% less in pellet count. The shot size actually looked bigger. They still smoked turkeys though. I am thinking about trying the 4x5x7 loads this year.

WiLL B

But if I could still get the patterns like I got out of the 2009 and 2010 model year Nitro's straight 5's I wouldn't look any further. But I ain't got many of them left!

agturkey

Come by nwtf convention and you can talk to the witness.