Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is anyone trying to open up their pattern???

Started by marshboy, February 19, 2011, 07:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

After too many misses at close range last season, I am working on opening mine up a bit. So far, I have been VERY impressed with Winchester Super X 3"-1 7/8 oz.-#6. Those shells shoot awesome patterns at 30 yds and still produces a more than killing pattern out to 40 yds. At $10 for 10 shells there's not a better value out there! I also like the older Federal Premium 3"-2 oz.-#6 too. For now, the Hevi 13's won't be in my gun this year unless I hunt open woods or fields. I may try to find a choke that will open em up a bit but til then it's back to lead for me.

DocHolliday

I am a confirmed double shooter and 20 ga lover. Freely admitted.  I shoot both SXS and O/U. Long barrel tightly choked (good as far out as I'm gonna shoot-won't say how far, but a LONG way!). Close barrel either open cylinder, skeet, or imp cyl depending on what the gun wants.  These setups evolved after missing a couple of birds up close.  I changed to the double and havent looked back.  I shoot TSS 9s long range and Hevi 9's close.  My family and I killed 9 birds last yr with these handloads.  Closest 5 yds, furthest 46.  The hevi 9's killed bird at 25 yds (not me and misjudged distance) DRT.  Only two birds killed with long barrels.
Only two probs w/ doubles IMO.  Unless you are willing to switch to a 20, 12's are heavy.  Number 2, you are essentially packing 2 single barrels.  If you miss up close, OK follow up shot.  If you miss far, Oh well, NO followup shot.  OK, I guess there is a third issue-you have to have the discipline to choose chokes and estimate ranges under fire-but DAMN it sure is fun!
Best Wishes.
Doc

Reloader

I let the set up determine the shell.  I've been pretty lucky with Win 1-7/8oz #6 lead loads having the same POI as my handloads, so I always keep a couple of the lead shells in my vest.  If I set up in dense woods where my shots are going to be 15-30yds, I slip a lead shell in the pipe. If I set up on the edge of a clearing or field, I keep the handloads in. I'd say 95% of the time the lead shell is all I ever need.

Jbird22

Quote from: Reloader on February 21, 2011, 09:48:32 AM
I let the set up determine the shell.  I've been pretty lucky with Win 1-7/8oz #6 lead loads having the same POI as my handloads, so I always keep a couple of the lead shells in my vest.  If I set up in dense woods where my shots are going to be 15-30yds, I slip a lead shell in the pipe. If I set up on the edge of a clearing or field, I keep the handloads in. I'd say 95% of the time the lead shell is all I ever need.

I agree with you and will be doing something very similar to that this season myself.