OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is anyone trying to open up their pattern???

Started by marshboy, February 19, 2011, 07:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

Hello all,
This site has been a great source of knowledge for me, especially concerning all the turkey hunting products out there.  I got on board last spring a purchased a PG choke and a bunch of Hevi 7s...although the pattern through my 870 is not as impressive as some I've seen on here, it does put about 240 in a 10 inch circle at 40.
For debate, does anyone think we're going overboard with these chokes/patterns?  I mean, a turkey's head can do a lot of bobbing and weaving, and I'm shooting a tiny pattern that barely spreads out.  I've thought about putting the PG choke away, and patterning the 7s through my stock M and F chokes, and going from there.  I mean, a lot of shots are going to be taken at a far shorter distance than 40-50 yards.
I've also thought a double barreled gun would make the perfect turkey gun, with a more open choke in one barrel and a very constricted choke in the other.
Thoughts?

hookedspur

Not me .Some guys on the board will but I have a scope on my rig and shoot it like a rifle so I want it tight.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

FANMAN

Quote from: marshboy on February 19, 2011, 07:19:51 AM
Hello all,
This site has been a great source of knowledge for me, especially concerning all the turkey hunting products out there.  I got on board last spring a purchased a PG choke and a bunch of Hevi 7s...although the pattern through my 870 is not as impressive as some I've seen on here, it does put about 240 in a 10 inch circle at 40.
For debate, does anyone think we're going overboard with these chokes/patterns?  I mean, a turkey's head can do a lot of bobbing and weaving, and I'm shooting a tiny pattern that barely spreads out.  I've thought about putting the PG choke away, and patterning the 7s through my stock M and F chokes, and going from there.  I mean, a lot of shots are going to be taken at a far shorter distance than 40-50 yards.

I agree with the above...I shoot 6's...when I got to 190 at 40 in a 10,I decided that was tight enough...most of my shots are far less than 40yds.

tactikel

I think you may on to something. I am a wingshooter and shot trap years ago. My goal was to find a load that would break a clay, or bring down a grouse with certainty-but have as large a pattern as possible. If as many have stated -100 pellets in 10" (1 pellet every 0.78 square inches) is a killling pattern why wouldnt I want that pattern to be 24 or 30" wide rather than 12?

grousec

I also agree.  Most of my turkeys are shot inside 40 yards (and I want them to be cause I like the show).  The patterns can be too tight for most of us in actual hunting situtations.

gobblezilla

I think good arguments can be made for both sides of the fence. For me I for sure got caught up in all the "hype" when I first joined OG. I found myself with a bad  range pattern but a less than desireable hunting pattern. But I hunt in a lot of woods and tight cover where most of my shots would be up close. That being said not everybody hunts where I hunt and if they hunt out on the prairie lands then maybe a super tight pattern is what they need when he hangs up. I also think a lot of what you read on here is man doing what man does, relentlessly persue BIGGER BADDER FASTER! For a lot of these guys that pursuit is as much fun as hunting the bird and I respect that. You just have to realize that and take the HUGE wealth of knowledge on OG and apply it accordingly to your hunting situation.

chipper

I've been turkey hunting for 23 years this spring and just relized something the other day when I made a post about my SX3, I've got caught up in the numbers game, Vahunter  told me I had a pretty good pattern and you know what. He is absolutely right, I'm not putting but about 175 to 200 in the 10 at 40 but in 22 years of turkey hunting I can count on one hand how many turkeys I've shot over 40 and most of my and my hunting partner of 22 years birds have been between 25 and 30 yards so I don't need super tight patterns, Hell. I don't really need a IC and Hevi at those ranges, I'll continue to shot them just because they are superior products, but I'll settle with what I got with my SX3 and hunt with it and be confident if he is inside 40 he is a dead bird as long as I do my part to close the deal. Thanks Vahunter for bringing me back to reality!

chipper

bird

One huge drawback to having a super tight patterning turkey gun is the close up shot.  One way to help in that situation is to use a red dot like I do.  I really had no choice but to move to a red dot because my eyesight no longer allowed me to focus very clearly on the bead of a shotgun any longer.  But now that I have a FastFire II on my gun all I have to do is just get that bird to stop for a split second and it doesn't matter what distance he is at..... Place the dot, stop the bird, squeeze the trigger, BOOM, dead bird!

BigPeck215

i picked up a .675 indian creek for my 870 this year and i'm gonna shoot hevi 3-2-7's outta it, i had been shooting a .665JH and a tgssx.643 but the patterns were a little tight inside of 25yds. i'm hoping that by switching to a choke like indian creek with excellent internal design i can maintain my 40yd numbers and open up my 20yd numbers a bit. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteYou just have to realize that and take the HUGE wealth of knowledge on OG and apply it accordingly to your hunting situation.

I have thought about having a Plan A, and a Plan B.

Plan A = A .690 XFull Choke and Hevi 13 in the 870 when I enter the woods.  "Ideal" patterns for 35 Yards and in.
Plan B = A .665 Indian Creek BDS Choke in my hunting pack which I can quickly install for setups in spots that offer the opportunity for really long shots.

Reason:
My .690 XFull Primo's Dead Deer Choke throws dense and even patterns with every type of shell I've put through it.  I mean everything from dove loads to Hevi13 to buckshot.  I have shot and shot this choke, and the patterns are dense with evenly spaced pellets and good coverage at average hunting distances.  This is the best do-it-all hunting choke I've found.  It's a good 40+ Yard OO Buckshot Choke.

boyhowdy

It was easy for me, year before last when I shot hevi 13 3.5 2 1/4 oz - 220 or so in a 10" @ 40 - I said whoa thats too tight for me, I shot a some cheap lead loads and left the bore dirty,  and opened my pattern up to around 160-180 in a 10", which is more in line with what I wanted, around 150 is probably still a little tight for me

redleg06

Quote from: bird on February 19, 2011, 10:05:06 AM
One huge drawback to having a super tight patterning turkey gun is the close up shot.  One way to help in that situation is to use a red dot like I do.  I really had no choice but to move to a red dot because my eyesight no longer allowed me to focus very clearly on the bead of a shotgun any longer.  But now that I have a FastFire II on my gun all I have to do is just get that bird to stop for a split second and it doesn't matter what distance he is at..... Place the dot, stop the bird, squeeze the trigger, BOOM, dead bird!

EXACTLY....

Most of my birds are between 20-35 yds.  

Having said that, I have shot birds at 7-15yds or on the other side 45-55 yds.... I dont intentionally set-up to shoot birds that close or that far but it happens on occasion.  

By knowing my equipment (because I work on it more than your avg turkey hunter) and spending a little extra to get chokes, shells and sighting system that are consistent I am able to kill at any reasonable range (close or far) without problem.

With the right equipment and a little practice, there's no reason to be afraid of a tight pattern in close.  

S.C.C

[/quote]

EXACTLY....

Most of my birds are between 20-35 yds.  

Having said that, I have shot birds at 7-15yds or on the other side 45-55 yds.... I dont intentionally set-up to shoot birds that close or that far but it happens on occasion.  

By knowing my equipment (because I work on it more than your avg turkey hunter) and spending a little extra to get chokes, shells and sighting system that are consistent I am able to kill at any reasonable range (close or far) without problem.

With the right equipment and a little practice, there's no reason to be afraid of a tight pattern in close.  

[/quote]
:agreed:  And well said!

bhanks55

lots has been discussed about this on here. To each his own. I have a scope and havent missed a bird in 10+ years (probably will now that I say that...) I also hunt a lot of fields so prefer the longer shells. I do carry some older hevishot and even lead when hunting thick timber, so I am ready for anything. Some even hunt with over and unders so they can select open or tight..Again to each his own.

Heck one of the amazing reloaders on here actually came up with the best of both worlds and developed a load that half when tight and the other part of the load opened up fast to cover both bases. Incredible.