OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

chrome barrels

Started by ground control, February 19, 2011, 12:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ground control

Okay, before I start let me say this: I have never liked the idea of polishing a chrome lined barrel. But with all the stuff I read on here, I got to thinking. I read of a couple guys that have polished a chrome barrel, but they use a little different method, NO ABRASIVES. So, that being said, I decided to give it a go. Basically, I used the method on here with a drill(low to medium speed), but with a bore mop and some polishing CREAM, not compound. I made about sixty passes(one pass=down and back), and kept plenty of cream on the mop. It is a very messy process. I patterned the gun a few days ago and shot 176-199 in a 10" circle at 40yds with a SBE2 and 3" MagBlends. The pattern looked noticably tighter, but when I sat down and counted it came out to about a 10% increase. Not huge, but a step in the right direction. Plus it was just fun to try something new. I still say that doing this to a chrome lined barrel is risky, and will probably toss your warranty to the toilet. Patience and time, and remember it's like cutting a board.....you can always take more off but you can't add it back on. Err on the side of caution, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it......THEN DON'T. 
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

hookedspur

sound right to me ground control
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Mailman

With what I paid for my SBE2 no way am I trying it. It patterns just fine. 400+ @40yrds in 10" with tss 9's.
One Shot One Kill

gobblezilla

I'm with you mail man.  :z-winnersmiley:
But if I was gonna try it I would not use abrasives. The benefit of the chrome lined barrel is that it is nonporous. Use and abrasive cleaner and it will quickly become porous.

turkeytromp

Well 20-30 more pellets in the 10" circle is not going to dictate a barrel alter for my SBEII, I'll stick with placing an average 200-230 pellets of hevi13 in the zone and be quiet happy! Besides Benelli crio barrels are far to expensive to be buying another one because of a mistake I made in trying to get just a couple more shot pellets in a pattern. The gun has not had any trouble dropping two birds per season for the last couple years so I can't complain! :happy0064:

ground control

I didn't do this because I felt the pattern was inadequate, I did it because its winter and I'm bored. It killed 3 birds last year with 3 shells. You do not NEED 200pellets in a ten inch circle to kill a bird, let alone 400+. Then again, the majority of us that drive 4x4's don't NEED that either, but we THINK we do. Trust me, I AM NOT an advocate of using abrasives in a chrome lined barrel. I just seen several people on here asking about polishing chrome barrels that I started second guessing the basis on which I wouldn't do it as well. Were my views based on fact or on thought? Being that I had never tried it I felt I had no place to keep telling others to stay away from something I had never done. I still don't recommend doing it because of the inherent risks associated. As a kid I would get lit up for claiming to not like a food I never tried, guess that carried over into today. I knew the risk and was prepared to eat the plate of crow if it was to be served.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"