OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone trap coons?

Started by lightsoutcalls, January 18, 2012, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I have had trail cameras set up for over 6 weeks to try to see if hogs are moving on a property.  We have had LOTS of pictures of up to 4 coons at a time in 3 different locations on a 120 acre property.  Likely they aren't  all the same 4 coons in the pictures.  That said, they were eating all of the corn we put out.  I don't want to feed coons, so I emailed my buddy with the Game and Fish.  He straightened me out on all of the ins and outs of trapping needed permits and selling the furs if we choose to.  Since the landowner raises ducks and chickens, the coons are considered nuisance animals.  He recommended these little traps -

I picked a couple up at the local farmer's COOP store at lunch.  The springs on these traps mean business! I triggered one with a piece of coax cable that was in my truck...  You DON'T want to get your finger in there!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Trevor2

I trap a few coons everyonce in a while for dog training, but I use the cage trap.
Strutstopper

tra_cline

use a marshmallow and vanilla flavoring.... I'm sure you could have more fun by finding a local with a good dog to lessen the population.

Dixie Whistler

I have used corn or dogfood in the dog-proof traps and marshmallows, donuts or eggs in the cages.  Mainly to cut down on the nest-robbers.  Coons are pretty good to eat if you take your time fixing them. 

BOFF

I've used the Lil Griz traps like you have shown with GREAT success.

God Bless,
David B.

MAGGUNS

Cage trap and sardines, only problem is you will probably have to catch the possums first. Popcorn will work as bait also.

TClark

Never seen one a those traps in person, but I think they're way cool and wish I had a
dozen or so 20 years ago.
 Be good Ferrel Critter catchers also.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

lightsoutcalls

Gobble Nole

I catch them with the cage trap.  Put it out with sardines, bread, marshmellows, candy, corn doesn't matter.  I have had the best success by wiring the trap so that it will not trip.  Bait it up and leave it for about 4 days.  They should find the bait and eat it no problem.  Go back, rebait it and remove the wire so that it will trip this time.  Almost always works and you can catch 4-5 coons a week.  Doesn't take long to impact the population if you do it correctly. 
Also, I have read many articles that state coons as the #1 predator impacting wild turkeys.  They invade nests and poults up to like 3 weeks old.  They will even come after poults in the trees once they can learn to fly up and roost.  Coons and bobcats, the two most devastating predators to wild turkeys.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 19, 2012, 11:29:00 AM
Coons and bobcats, the two most devastating predators to wild turkeys.

There are both on this property, as well as coyotes and feral hogs.  One of the reasons the landowner allowed me access to hunt her property was because the turkey population has declined since she started seeing feral hogs. 

I considered a box trap, but will only be able to set a trap on Saturday AM, check it on Sunday afternoon and pull it out until the next weekend.  The property is about 45 minutes from my house.  I just don't have the time or money to get there more frequently.  The box traps the size I would need start at $60.  The Duke traps above are about $15 each.  I don't intend to "relocate" the coons, so this seemed to be the best deal for the money. 

gatrapper

Catch 100 plus every season.  Check out my youtube channel if you want to see some video help.  Otherwise shoot me a PM and I can help you out.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

ddturkeyhunter

Use them traps all the time, you will catch any thing that has a small enough foot and can pull up. Coon, Skunks, possums, ferrel cats, and some time little weasels by the body. They are great little traps they were very costly when they first cam out around 11 years ago, know a person can afford to have a few ripped off each year and not break the bank.

SWAMPFOX

i have been using lil grizzes since they came out. best dogless coon trap out there. i have a dozen running on my farm right now.  some tips i have learned over the years are; 1\2 marshmellow under trigger as well as 1\2 marsh speared on trigger, and tiny piece on ground beside trap. use a different lure\scent at each set put directly on marsh. in trap and on lip of trap for scent dispersal. my best producers here in nc. are; cooncandy,moonshine, tutti-fruti, and night bandit. all of these can be purchased at minnesota or f&t trap supply. i also recomend to lenghthen your chain and ad a swivel flat stake as a caught coon is one strong animal and they will pump that short chain and stake out of the ground. pm if u need more info.
swampfox

DMP

We trap them on our place and use cage traps and trap them for the sole purpose of saving a turkey nest. 

pseshooter300

Trap the coons and the opossums they will hurt turkey population by eating the eggs
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood