OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Portable 2 man blind?

Started by Dukhntr, January 17, 2012, 08:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukhntr

Hey guys, I am fairly new to turkey hunting. I have killed a total of 4 ever. I am looking to take my 5 year old son with me this year and like the idea of a small portable blind. Haven't researched them much yet. Any ideas? Any specific camo patterns? Not sure the exact terrain that I will hunt, but mostly river bottoms, pasture land if that helps. Thanks in advance, this is an awesome site ya'll have... :fud:

sugarray

Don't worry about camo for turkeys.  They dont pay attention to them anyway.  I have a Double Bull and it is awesome!!!  Lots of room and I don't mind packing it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

The doghouse is tough to beat for the money. Not for the bow hunter, but plenty of room for two and shotguns. I agree with sugarray the camo won't make a difference.

drenalinld

If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed with a double bull. The less expensive ones can be just as effective, but will not last as long. Camo pattern is not important for turkeys and for deer you better brush it in anyway.

Crappiepro

I have a KillZone blind. They are just as nice as the Higher priced brands and have enough room for 2 people. Easy to set-up and take down. They were on sale awhile back for $99 .

Kylongspur88

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 17, 2012, 08:37:09 PM
The doghouse is tough to beat for the money. Not for the bow hunter, but plenty of room for two and shotguns. I agree with sugarray the camo won't make a difference.
x2 for the money you cant beat them. If you want to shoot a bow this is not the best blind, but great for shotguns. We find them on sale around this time of year after deer season is winding down.

Dukhntr

Thanks guys. I will be shooting a shotgun...

BOFF

My daughter and I used the Ameristep 2 person chair blind. Works well to have us close together.

However, if you are going to have it set up beforehand, the larger blinds like the doghouse have more room.

God Bless,
David B.

JohnnieB

Double Bulls are hard to beat. Right now Natchez is running a great sale on them.

redrivergar

I use a double bull dark horse, but started out with a dog house. It is very convenient to take some shooting sticks for your son to use. The doghouse blind tends to sag with the weight of the gun when young'uns  use them to steady the shot, sticks make it still. Hope you guys have a great season. You will be amazed at how close turkeys will come to your blind.

bbcoach

I second the Ameristep 2 man.  My friend ,a six foot six Marine, and his 10 year old son both took their first gobblers out of one.  Both gobblers were taken on pine forest roads with the blind setup right on the road.  It was not in the woods and wasn't even brushed in.  Believe me, the Gobblers didn't pay one bit of attention to the blinds.  The blind opens up and pulls over your head in a matter of seconds and is easily carried to your favorite hunting spot.  Give them a look. 

Tuttle

I have used several different blinds over the years and for me, nothing comes close to the double bull.

triune

I've had the Ameristep doghouse for several years and it has been a good one.  The doghouse is probably the most economical.  Used a Rhino last season and loved it, very good blind and less expensive than the double bulls.
I've hunted out of several different blinds with cameras and kids.  The most important thing is to keep it as dark as possible on the inside and try not to hit the side of the blind.
Best of luck with you son this season!

lightsoutcalls

I prefer the double bull blinds, but haven't coughed up that kind of money yet.  I use the Primos Ground Max Predator Den blind from Cabelas.  It was about $149 when I got it.  It works great for shotgun, but I have thwacked one of the window sides with an arrow a couple of times while practicing. 
Check out Cabela's bargain cave.  They have the double bulls in there right now at $249.

I have also used the Ameristep Doghouse.  They are a good deal for the money and easy to pack and carry.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

drenalinld

Natchez Shooting Supply has a Double Bull Dark Horse on sale for $209.