turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burning Osage Orange Wood

Started by merocustomcalls, January 16, 2012, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merocustomcalls

I've seen several pics from call makers making burnt Osage Orange calls.  I was wondering how you go about it?  Do you use a blow torch?  How long do you hold it in a flame?  How far away do you hold it from a flame?  I think Osage is pretty by itself but adding the burnt look makes for an interesting call.  I was thinking about trying this out for myself.  Being a professional firefighter I'm wanting to avoid any and all embarrassment if I were to start a big fire in my shop.  If anyone has any advice they could give I'd appreciate it. 

Brian

TRKYHTR

I can see it now " Firefighter burns down house with blow torch and turkey calls". I was thinking about it myself. There gave been some really good looking flaming osage pot calls lately. Let me know how it comes out or I'll just watch the news. LOL

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

woodwzrd

I just want to add to what Gitzit69 said. If you do it while the call is spinning on the lathe you will avoid potential hot spots on the call that could possibly cause checking. I have done some purple heart and with that stuff you have to go slow because it is really easy to go just a little to far and turn the whole call so dark it looks black.

M,Yingling

I use a small plummers torch turned up about 1/4 I just hold call in one hand torch in other ,,I realy dont hold call in flame i work the flamed over call till i get the look i like
I like holding call that way if its geting to hot i ll let cool a bit Osage will crack pretty easy if you get it to hot On the ash and oak i flame if you get the pot to hot this wood likes to warp
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

misfire

I use a handheld torch, holding it about three inches from the call. With the lathe on the slowest speed and hit the high spots the hardest and feather out to the lowest spots. Once I get it burnt, I then sand with 500grit to clean it up a little, then apply the finish of your choice
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net