OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blued vs Camo

Started by rebelman, January 15, 2012, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebelman

All mass manufactured "turkey guns" are camoed these days.  How many folks still hunt with blued shotguns?

allaboutshooting

I hunted last year with my black Benelli Vinci. I hunt with whatever gun I've been shooting the most when the seasons come. I have several camoed guns but don't see the black/blue guns as any disadvantage.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

rebelman

Only disadvantage I can see is perhaps the glossy finish?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: rebelman on January 15, 2012, 06:28:24 PM
Only disadvantage I can see is perhaps the glossy finish?

Correct. I always try to hunt in the shadows and most of my hunting guns have subdued finishes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bird

Non-glare black finish on my 870.  No shine and no need for camo.

Fox Fire

I love a deep polished blue like ya find on the 870 wingmasters or a browning but hate the parkerized finish, it makes for a great excuse to spray it.

A good camo job is very nice also even if its been do by a spray can as long as its done rite....how can ya go wrong either way.

hookedspur

I hunt with mostly black n blue ,but if you look outback in the woods isn't the primary color black ?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ddturkeyhunter

I don't think you need camo it just blends in better then black, as long as you sit still and there isn't a shine coming off your gun your fine.

teke

Didn't care for camo early on. Hard to beat a walnut stock and blued barrel. The camo guns grew on me over the last few years, now prefer there looks to any..

gobblingghost

West Augusta

Parkerized barrel and receiver with a camo laminated stock.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

FttFttVroom!

Killed turkeys for years with an 870 Wingmaster, both 20 and 12 guage, full choke and #4 lead. 

njdevilsb

I hunt with 2 camo'd guns and 1 black barrel, brown stock and forearm.  I don't personally see a need for camo, but it obviously doesn't hurt either.  I have never had a turkey spook and think, "Man, if I only had an all camo gun."

WildTigerTrout

I hunt with three different full camo shotguns and two different matte blue shotguns. IMO it makes no difference as long as the metal is matte finished so it does not shine.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

paladin

I have alwys used camo while my brother, until last year, has always used black matte. Both work. Motion is your enemy.
"have gun-will travel"