turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shipping a firearm

Started by sugarray, January 15, 2012, 06:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Planning a trip and trying to figure the best way to get my gun there. 

Can I ship my barrel and receiver via Fed Ex or UPS, if they are in separate packages?

I just think it would be cheaper to do this than to pay an airline.  I have heard some horror stories about firearms on planes.

OLE RASPY

I have shipped firearms via ups but i kept the gun together never shipped it sperate.Never have done the airline thing.I think it would be ok to ship it together.imo

CASH

Quote from: sugarray on January 15, 2012, 06:13:20 PM
Planning a trip and trying to figure the best way to get my gun there. 

Can I ship my barrel and receiver via Fed Ex or UPS, if they are in separate packages?

I just think it would be cheaper to do this than to pay an airline.  I have heard some horror stories about firearms on planes.

You can ship it all in one package, just break it down.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

sugarray

What I read on the UPS website says that you have to be an FFL.

sharxfan

I would take it on the airline with me. Just make sure the case is airline approved and lock it with a good padlock TSA does not need to be able to get into the case. I would try to get a direct flight so you don't have to worry about them transferring the luggage from one plane to another. If you can't make sure you leave enough time between flights that it has no problem making the next flight. I would also make sure that you have some kind of insurance on it or maybe your homeowners will cover any damage or loss during travel under household possesions.

CASH

From the USPS website

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

Gun Control Act of 1968

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/laws/gca68.htm
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

CASH

Quote from: sharxfan on January 15, 2012, 07:04:35 PM
I would take it on the airline with me. Just make sure the case is airline approved and lock it with a good padlock TSA does not need to be able to get into the case. I would try to get a direct flight so you don't have to worry about them transferring the luggage from one plane to another. If you can't make sure you leave enough time between flights that it has no problem making the next flight. I would also make sure that you have some kind of insurance on it or maybe your homeowners will cover any damage or loss during travel under household possesions.

What he said.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

natman

Quote from: sugarray on January 15, 2012, 06:55:47 PM
What I read on the UPS website says that you have to be an FFL.

Then I'm afraid you misread it. It's a complicated sentence and it starts out looking like you have to to be an FFL, but keep reading. It is both legal and within UPS policy to ship a gun TO YOURSELF or to an FFL.

Legal: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

QuoteQ: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

UPS: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1

QuoteUPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States), law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

sharxfan

If you are going to ship UPS or Fedex I would make sure that the local branch will accept it before you take it there. I seem to remember someone telling me one time that they had to take their firearm to a main hub or distribution center because the branch office by his house would not take it.

natman

Quote from: sharxfan on January 16, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
If you are going to ship UPS or Fedex I would make sure that the local branch will accept it before you take it there. I seem to remember someone telling me one time that they had to take their firearm to a main hub or distribution center because the branch office by his house would not take it.

Good point. Yes, UPS stores or other businesses that accept UPS shipments cannot accept firearms of any kind, since they are independent businesses and are neither FFLs nor common carriers. You have to ship the gun DIRECTLY with UPS.

sugarray

So I could ship to me, c/o another person and it would get delivered to their house.

So, I ship from WV to me c/o Jake at Jake's address and he takes delivery and does not open the package until I get there?

Much nicer and likely cheaper than the airline fees.

sharxfan

Depends on who you are flying. They should only charge you a bag fee and no special fees for it being a firearm.

mdtkyhntr

I've only ever used the airline route. I'll admit it can be a bit un-nerving, but I've never had a damaged firearm as a result. Damaged case, yes, but not a damaged firearm. I guess that speaks to the fact that you have to buy a good case if you're going to take it on the airline which will be a good bit more of an investment.

wmahunter

The problem is that the local UPS shipping counter employee may not know the rules either. 

I shipped my rifle to myself in Colorado this Fall via UPS but when I called the branch depot was told that I couldn't do it unless I had an FFL.  I knew that was not true so I went on-line and printed a shipping label shipping it to myself c/o a buddy in Colorado Springs, boxed it up and handed it to my local driver...I also printed a return label at that time and included it in the box. 

Got to my buddies house in CO and picked it up.  After the hunt I put on the return label and dropped it off at a "ups store" with no problem.

My hunting buddy did the same thing BUT didn't print the return label and they wouldn't take it at the ups store OR the main depot counter in Denver so he had to bring in back on the plane.

ChiefBubba

I just came back from a trip to Texas Goose and duck hunting. I flew with the guns as one of my checked bags. No problem at all. Put them in a hard case put the TSA locks on them. Just don't put any other locks on them because they will open them. I made the mistake of locking the lock on the case and they paged me in the airport for the combination to open it. They look and put a card in it. I'd fly with them anytime. The one thing I did was to fly a direct flight to be sure the guns made the trip. I'd hate to lose them during a change over. Chief.