OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The lightest bird you killed

Started by Ol'Mossy, January 15, 2012, 05:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

Ive killed a couple fall hens that probably weighed around 8lbs
I eat therefore I hunt

Cove

Killed a couple in Kansas in late May that weighed less than 14lbs, also Big Cypress birds of South Florida are long legged light birds by nature also, killed a bird in there that weighed 15.5lbs.

rebelman

17 pounds

Of course i killed this one on our annual turkey rodeo hunt that the biggest turkey wins.

derek

14lbs.

old, dominant bird late in the season. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

DMP

15 lbs with a 10" beard and 1" spurs.  I thought my scales were broke when I saw the weight. :TooFunny:
Tried another set of scales and got the same thing. 

West Augusta

I killed Grandpa last year. Just over 16 lbs, a snow shortened 5" beard but had a spur 1 3/8"
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on January 15, 2012, 05:31:11 AM
Just wondering what the lightest bird you ever killed

I shot one here in Pa the second week of the season that weighed a whopping 15 1/2 lbs with a 10" inch beard. I thought that was kind of unusual

There is a story that goes with this bird I got. He was the dominate gobbler running with 2 other ones, a jake and a bigger bodied bird with a stubby beard. I missed this one two days before, he came in by himself.  The morning I did get him all three of them came down to me, him first, then the stubby one, and i'll tell you old stubby had a head the size of a soft ball, but I passed on him because I liked the longer beard. I hunted stubby the rest of the season but never got him.

FttFttVroom!

14 pound rio jake with a 4 inch beard, nubbin spurs.....but man he was fun to hunt back then!

Old Gobbler

12 pounds ,but he had a over 11 inch beard and 1.5 spurs -Pure Osceola , killed in the late season {2nd to last day}  he was a lean mean machine - He just spent more time with the hens , and little feeding - Average is 15- 16 pounds , 17 and up is big one

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gun for hire

The first birds I ever called in was a pair of jakes, got busted and rolled one of them running away.  Weighed in at a whopping 12.5 lbs.  And that was with 2 oz. of 6's adding to the total.  I was so happy to have finally called one in and killed it, I could have cared less about the weight.

Sadler McGraw

I have taken two mature gobblers in the last 5 years that weighed in the 12.5 lb range.  Both from the same county in Alabama, but about 30 miles apart.  Both had really nice sets of spurs, just every thing about them was proportionally smaller.

Here is a pic of one the gobblers heads, notice how hairy looking it was, and had more feathers than normal up the back side of his head.  

The old timers claim the myth about the " Mossy Head Gobblers", this might be one of them!

Ahhhhh snap, the photo wont load!   Sorry!
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

ILIKEHEVI-13

8lb. 8oz hen shot with my my bow on 10-12-00 at 20yds.  Still the toughest and smartest bird I have ever killed.  Took me 45 minutes from when she first answered my call to when I finally killed her.  I had to coax her in and once she finally commited she stopped behind a dead tree and allowed me to draw my bow.  She stood there forever it seems which was probably 40 sec before she took a  few steps and I shot her heart out at 20yds.

SWAMPFOX

9lb. bearded hen couple of years ago behind my house

renegade19

10lbs, 12 lbs. Fall hen and jake.