OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The lightest bird you killed

Started by Ol'Mossy, January 15, 2012, 05:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

Just wondering what the lightest bird you ever killed

I shot one here in Pa the second week of the season that weighed a whopping 15 1/2 lbs with a 10" inch beard. I thought that was kind of unusual

goblr77

I've killed a few northern Florida eastern birds in the 14 lb range back in the late 1990's. The birds in that particular area got bigger over the years once we decided to keep our deer feeders and food plots going year round. Killed an old bird a couple years ago that weighed over 22 lbs on that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chatterbox

Woodsman4God

Seeing as how I have only 1 recorded weight, other bird never got weighed. 17 lbs 1 oz

redarrow

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on January 15, 2012, 05:31:11 AM
Just wondering what the lightest bird you ever killed

I shot one here in Pa the second week of the season that weighed a whopping 15 1/2 lbs with a 10" inch beard. I thought that was kind of unusual
Shot one in Northern Michigan that weighed 15 lbs. It had a 10 in. beard too, and little nubs for spurs. His chest feathers were missing from getting his butt kicked too. Came in all by himself.

TRKYHTR

My son killed a mature gobbler last year that was really small. Everything looked proportionate but he was just real small. I called him Mini Me.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

paboxcall

This 3 year old PA bird tipped the scales at 14.5 lbs.  It was the second mature bird taken from nearly the same tree that weighed 14.5 lbs.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

John
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Lumpy

Shot a hen a couple of fall's ago that weighed a whooping 6lbs!!!!
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

Neill_Prater

Killed a mature, probably 4 year old gobbler here in MO many years ago that weighed, as best as I can remember now, 13 1/2 pounds. It was actually one of my most memorable hunts ever. I hadn't heard a single gobble all morning, and was actually starting home. I stopped at a gas station, and was standing there filling my truck and thinking how nice a day it was. I decided to drive a few miles to a secluded boat ramp, and see if I could hear a bird anywhere. It was some time after 10:00 AM. I pulled into the parking lot and listened, then began calling with a push-pin call. After about 10 minutes, I had heard nothing, and was getting ready to pack it in. I cut on the call loudly, and a bird responded across the cove. Once he got started, every time I would crow call, he'd sound off. It took me some time to get close to him, as I had to circle the cove to do so.

Our season ends at 1:00, and it was pushing that when I finally called him in close enough to kill. I had to relocate on him probably 4 times. He'd respond, then drift away until I could barely hear him. I'd change positions, and start in on him again. After I shot him, I ran up and grabbed him and almost threw him over my shoulder! I thought he would be a monster, but he did have a 12 inch beard, and about 1 1/4 inch spurs, as best as I can remember. A few years later, only about 4 miles away, as the crow flies, I killed another gobbler which was almost his twin.

WildTigerTrout

I killed a 2 year old several years ago here in Pa. that weighed 15 1/2 pounds. He had a 11 1/4" beard! To date it's the longest beard yet! It was the third week of the season and I think he had been a very busy fellow! :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

El Pavo Grande

13.5 lb. eastern here in Arkansas.  I killed him late season on heavily pressured public ground right off a main road.  It was a memorable hunt, because I had to move a few different times.  It was about 5:30 pm in the evening and he gobbled very well.  It was the 3rd time I had hunted him.  A friend and I had him within 10 steps the week before, but he was unable to get a shot.  He had a long thick beard and good spurs.   

barry

Smallest longbeard I've taken weighed 14 lb 10 oz, had a real nice beard though.
Friend killed one that only weighed 12 lbs, it was like a dwarf, all features were smaller than a normal gobbler

mcgruff1533

I shot a hen a few years back in the Fall.    Didn't weigh her, but I'd be shocked if she weighed anymore than 10 lbs.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!