OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking For A Good Knife

Started by El Pavo Grande, January 13, 2012, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

In November I killed a buck at the bottom of a steep mountain.  It being a wilderness area, there are few roads around other than the one at the top of the mountain which I am parked on.  Anyway, I had a nice NWTF knife I had been carrying for several years.  I gutted the buck and began the grueling drag.  It was brutal and I soon realized my best option would have been to quarter the deer up.  But I kept going and after nearly two hours I was at the top.  Not being in the best shape, I was absolutely beat and exhausted.   That's when I realized I'd left my NWTF knife at the bottom of the mountain.  What I had thought was it in my vest was actually my little saw.

So, I quickly decided to forgo a return trek to the base of the mountain, thus opting in favor of a return trip at some point in the near future.  However, I have yet to find the time to return for my knife and not sure if I will anytime soon due to the distance from my house.  It'll probably be there buried under the leaves, unless some fortunate fellow is now sporting a nice NWTF knife on his hip. 

So, the point is that I need to get another quality knife that is sharp.  If anything that NWTF knife was sharp!!!  Any suggestions on a good knife that won't break the bank?     

El Pavo Grande

I forgot to mention, I want one with a partially serrated blade.  That's one feature I liked about the NWTF knife I lost.

Gus_13

Strut. Gobble. Die.

El Pavo Grande

Gus_13,

I appreciate the info.  I'll definitely check them out.  And hopefully come spring, I will be able to go search for my old NWTF knife.

stone road turkey calls

Remember when you could go to your local hardware and buy a qualty knife, I have a puma and love it, has saw blade, ball tip for skining and reg blade. was kind of pricey
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

sugarray

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/knives/detail.asp?fid=010G&cid=322&tid=828&bg=x

My FIL bought a knife like this for my son.  It really looks like a great knife, but I haven't used it yet.  I'll use it this year for anything he harvests.  It is pricey, but the serrated blade looks great and the 3 independent blades really makes it nice.

TheTwistedOne

Check out this one. 

http://www.thespydercostore.com/Byrd-Cara-Cara-2-Lightweight-Combo-Edge-Knife-p/by03psbk2.htm

Maybe can get it on Ebay for less.  I've seen many knives that cost 3x as much that aren't half as well made.  For the money it's tough to beat and you won't cry so much if you loose it.

Got my brother one for Christmas.  It's super sharp.  He loves it.

Holston

S30V is the best blade material I've found.   Was fond of D2 steel, until I bought my first S30V.

They can be pricey though.

I've carried this knife for several years, and have nothing bad to say about it:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Knives-Tools/Fixed-Blade-Knives|/pc/104791680/c/104740380/sc/104330880/Gerber-Freeman8482-S30V174-Fixed-Blade-Knives/714684.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-knives-tools-fixed-blade-knives%2Fgerber%2F_%2FN-1100158%2B1000003511%2B4294770732%2FNe-1000003511%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104330880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104740380%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104740380%3Bcat104330880

I've had pretty good luck out of Buck knives, I can't remember the name, but they were similar to the Omni series.  Can be had for ~$45 or so, and they're decent for the price.

I carried a Shrade Sharpfinger for years, and although the steel wasn't very good, and had to be sharpened often, it got me by.

Gus_13

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on January 13, 2012, 06:35:04 PM
Gus_13,

I appreciate the info.  I'll definitely check them out.  And hopefully come spring, I will be able to go search for my old  knife.

I know I love mine. They are definitely overhyped/over advertised on some outdoor tv channels but that's for a reason. They are sharp sharp and hold and edge forever.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

mossy835

I have had good luck with case knives over the years but I have never used one with a serrated portion.

ctwny1

Deputy 14

Buck 110 folder. Not serrated but you'll not get a better knife for anywhere close to the money

Dbrnmllr

Buck Rush is my day-to-day.  It is sharp and holds an edge like none I have had before it.  I have carried it everyday for 7 years now and still is like new (I've sharpened it about twice a year).  The assisted opening feature is nice too!

runngun

I have quiet a collection of knives/straight razors, I just love knives. My wife bought me a new one for Christmas, from Cabelas it is a Columbia River Knife and tool (CRKT) straight blade skinner, called Onion skinner. Named after knife designer Ken Onion and it is a beast. Cost $70. A plus is the sheath is right or left handed which is great because I am a lefty.

Thanks and God Bless
      Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Check out the Gerber Bear Grylls knives at Wal-Mart.  The largest fixed blade half-serrated model is $50.

Bark River Knife and Tool makes awesome knives with high carbon tool steel blades, but they have convex edges, and they don't offer serrated blades.  They'd probably be offended if you asked.  My BRK&T Manitou cuts like crazy.