OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

shipping cost?

Started by harvester, January 10, 2012, 11:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

Why is shipping cost so high when ordering something that can fit into an envelope?
I was looking at mouth calls, just browsing, no sponsers on this site, and they asked for an address to figure shipping. $6.00, their mouth calls was only $2-3.00 average. I don't get it. Could someone please help me figure this out. I could see it, if i was buy several or even a pot type call.

mossy835

I look at it two ways the cost to package (if any) and it is part of the profit to make the product appear cheaper.

Eric Gregg

I am not sure how shipping cost is factored. However, as a consumer I look at it like this.
1. A lot of times what I order online is what I can not find locally. To get the product I want I would have to travel some 70 miles, which would cause me  to have to fill up my vehicle with 40-50 dollars worth of gas, and, I will stop and eat somewhere decent, which will cost me 30 dollars at least for two. 6 bucks or 80 dollars?

2. That package has to pass through a lot of hands before it gets to you, and is helping to pay some employees for FedEx or whoever.....

sugarray

Quote from: TeocTom on January 10, 2012, 12:11:55 PM
I am not sure how shipping cost is factored. However, as a consumer I look at it like this.
1. A lot of times what I order online is what I can not find locally. To get the product I want I would have to travel some 70 miles, which would cause me  to have to fill up my vehicle with 40-50 dollars worth of gas, and, I will stop and eat somewhere decent, which will cost me 30 dollars at least for two. 6 bucks or 80 dollars?

2. That package has to pass through a lot of hands before it gets to you, and is helping to pay some employees for FedEx or whoever.....

Absolutely!!

We went to Cabela's on Sunday.  1 full tank of gas, $70, 2 meals for 4 $60, 5 hrs of time.  But the kids love it, and wife hates it.  I love Cabela's but am becoming more frustrated with them not having what I want to try on or see in person.  So, I am ordering more online.  It is part of the profit.  Also, packaging is part of that price.

campcreekfarm

What I dont understand is why the shipping is so much higher from retailer to retailer.  Natchez SS is the highest I have ever seen.

Flydown

If you are ordering direct from a callmaker ask them to put them in an envelope without the packaging and you will save yourself and the callmaker money. ;)

harvester

There are several valid points here but Why would you lower the price on your product just to make it up on shipping. The shipping fees are what UPS, FedEX, etc... charge to bring it to you. Just tell me how much you want for it and let that be it. Don't charge me $6.00 for shipping and then ship it to me for $2.00.  

If it is for a box call, pot call or something that has some monetary value then I don't have a problem with paying shipping charges or even extra for that matter.

FullChoke

I can't guarantee that other stores do this, but if you order anything online from Bass Pro Shops, they will drop ship it (no shipping costs) to the nearest BPS store for you to pick up. We have one of the outlets here in Jackson, MS so this works out good.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mossy835

Quote from: mossy835 on January 10, 2012, 12:07:09 PM
I look at it two ways the cost to package (if any) and it is part of the profit to make the product appear cheaper.

What I mean above is there is cost beyond postage and UPS charges if bubble wrap is used or special insurance and handling is needed plus the time to package the item. Cabelas does also allow drop shipping to the store (minimum "8 working days") with no charge. But call makers on the site have to pay for the shipping container and packaging and they do spend time in addressing the container.
I do mind this it is the $1.50 item and $6.00 dollar shipping that gets me. Vendors here will and do work with you on multiple items in one package and that is more than fair.

customgunsocks

Thats my pet peave. I just paid 7 dollars for 10 little magnets, about 1 ounce heavy. I wish it was controlled, these places make alot of money.

wmahunter

That's how a free market works and if the price is too high for either the item or the shipping then we have the freedom to purchase it from someone else. 
There are plenty of times I have added items to my shopping cart at good prices and then failed to continue with the purchase once the shipping cost was calculated.

customgunsocks

To br faif as you can be to the customer, its not a hard proocess, a little more time consuming and bigger places wouldnt bother. Priority mail has 3 flat rate shipping charges for small, medium and large. Those are set fees, so what I do is, I know I have to use somewhere around a medium size flat rate box which is 10.50, so I take another non flat rate box and weigh it and take which ever is cheaper, simple. last week I had to ship in a large flat rate size which is 15.50, I decided to put it in a non flat rate about the same size and weighed it, 7 dollars difference, so the customer saved 7 dollars by us doing that, to me thats alot.

Spring Creek Calls

I had a similar incident with Sears. Was going to order a plastic safety key for my scroll saw, weighed maybe a half ounce. When I got to checkout the shipping was $8! I canceled the order. I'll find one somewhere.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

harvester

Quote from: wmahunter on January 10, 2012, 11:10:10 PM
There are plenty of times I have added items to my shopping cart at good prices and then failed to continue with the purchase once the shipping cost was calculated.

Been there done that many times.

TauntoHawk

yeah I really noticed it when i sold some used camo and it cost me $18 to ship a pair of bibs?!!

I buy a lot of gear from camofire.com and their shipping is great, shipped a pair of boots and some other clothing for $7 and it gets her in 5 days everytime
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>