turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Timney trigger on Rem 870

Started by sproultrapper, January 09, 2012, 08:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sproultrapper

I have been shooting the same rem 870 super mag 12 guage forever. I bought it when they first came out with it.

It has been a true workhorse and it seems to be built a little heavier than the newer models. I would not trade it for any other turkey gun on the planet. That being said...

One thing I never liked was the trigger pull. I found out timney makes a trigger fix for the rem shotguns.

Anybody have any experience with the timney triggers in an 870? Is it worth the $87.00 for the trigger??

bird

Quote from: sproultrapper on January 09, 2012, 08:55:17 PM
I have been shooting the same rem 870 super mag 12 guage forever. I bought it when they first came out with it.

It has been a true workhorse and it seems to be built a little heavier than the newer models. I would not trade it for any other turkey gun on the planet. That being said...

One thing I never liked was the trigger pull. I found out timney makes a trigger fix for the rem shotguns.

Anybody have any experience with the timney triggers in an 870? Is it worth the $87.00 for the trigger??

Before you spend $90 on a Timney try doing this.... it will save you a ton of money and it only takes a second to swap out the sear springs. 

bird

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/815333/remington-sear-spring-870-competition-trap

Gobble!

If its just the weight that bothers you try birds option.
I have the timney on my 870 and love it.
It was the creep that me spend the extra money.

sproultrapper

The creep on the trigger is really what bothers me also. will the new spring help with the length of the trigger pull??

Thanks for the info!

Rob Robertson

I put a Timney trigger set on my Turkey 870 last season. That and the over size safety button was the  Best money Ive spent.

goblr77

Gobble!

Quote from: sproultrapper on January 09, 2012, 09:15:37 PM
The creep on the trigger is really what bothers me also. will the new spring help with the length of the trigger pull??

Thanks for the info!

No just a lighter trigger.

westtennhunter

I did the spring swap and wasn't really impressed. I would love to have the timney trigger though.

sproultrapper

I am leaning towards the timney trigger, but still not sure if the setup will take all the slack out of the trigger.

How is the trigger pull changed by that new sear?

allaboutshooting

I evaluated one on the site and wrote a "Product Test" article several months ago and was sold. I have put the Timney Trigger Fix on 3 different Remington shotguns. I now have no creep, a crisp trigger pull that rivals many rifles and I can adjust the pull weight very easily. They are very simple to install and take just a couple of minutes. The only down side is the price and the fact that demand has exceeded supply. They are hard to find in stock.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

westtennhunter

sproultrapper

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like the timney trigger is the way to go.

Just have to find one.

SinGin

RemingtonRules

sproultrapper

I put the new timney trigger kit in my old 870 super mag. I was skeptical about spending $85, but the difference in the trigger pull was definitely worth the money.

It was rather easy to install. Just had to closely follow the instructions.

I test fired it and it works great. This trigger makes an awesome shotgun even better. Looks like I will get some more years out of this gun.

I used the lightest spring in the kit.

Eric