OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Snake Boots?

Started by TANK, February 18, 2011, 02:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

I have been wearing Rocky Snake Boots for years. I like the boots, but about the middle of each pairs second turkey season they begin leaking. I have had at least 4 pair of them. Im tired of spending the $100-$200 on them and getting wet feet walking across a pasture with dew on the grass. What do you fellows reccomend? I have been looking at the Irish Setter snake boots, I can't remember the name but they are the slip on style.

letinmfly

Can they be sprayed/treated with a water repellent?
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TANK

I have tried that but it didn't work. They leak where my toes and ankle bends. I like rubber boots but they get SO hot.

Skeeterbait

I am currently wearing Danner Jackal snake boots. Sadly they no longer make them, only the short top Jackal.  I am different than most though as I want a boot to fit like a high top moccasin, flex easily, stalk quietly, with a fairly smooth thin sole that won't load up with mud.  The old original Rocky Outback and the Jackal were like that.

Many on here like the Danner Pronghorn.  They are expensive though and I have heard a couple say their's have leaked too.  Lacrosse is coming out this year with a new 18" boot called the Venom Scent HD that looks promising and is priced right.  Waiting to see it in person and try it on first though.

knightrider

ive got two pair of the rocky snake boots from the mid 90's i still havnt wore out the first pair and the other ones have the tags on them, i gave 40 dollars a pair for them on clearance :z-guntootsmiley:

hookedspur

Quote from: knightrider on February 18, 2011, 04:38:46 PM
ive got two pair of the rocky snake boots from the mid 90's i still havnt wore out the first pair and the other ones have the tags on them, i gave 40 dollars a pair for them on clearance :z-guntootsmiley:
:icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

yella yelper

Look at the Muck Woody Armor

camp man

I had the same problem with Rocky's . I would go through a pair every year. I tried several diffent styles too. I am now the proud owner of Danner pronghorn snake boots. This is the second season coming up but they still work really well and are comfortable.

Cove

Muck Woody Armor, i got tired of trying others and getting wet feet.

goldenhunter

Quote from: Covehnter on February 18, 2011, 07:51:21 PM

I tried these last year, but man they are hot

joshua

Went through the same thing with the Rocky's.  Now I wear the lacrosse alpha burly sport. They are not insulated.  Don't know how much of a snake bite they could repel but the comfort and waterproofness of these boots outweighs everything else.  These boots are like wearing knee high waterproof tennis shoes to the woods.  I don't think most snakes around here could fully puncture these boots but I've never tested that theory either.   The actual snake bite doesn't hurt it is the hours following that can make you second guess going outside again.  BTW I've been bitten twice by copperheads so I can speak from experience.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

TrophyTracker

Quote from: joshua on February 18, 2011, 10:23:34 PM
Went through the same thing with the Rocky's.  Now I wear the lacrosse alpha burly sport. They are not insulated.  Don't know how much of a snake bite they could repel but the comfort and waterproofness of these boots outweighs everything else.  These boots are like wearing knee high waterproof tennis shoes to the woods.  I don't think most snakes around here could fully puncture these boots but I've never tested that theory either.   The actual snake bite doesn't hurt it is the hours following that can make you second guess going outside again.  BTW I've been bitten twice by copperheads so I can speak from experience.

Agreed.

I also wear the same Lacrosse boots, but add a wool knee high sock with a liner sock under it to wick the sweat away. My feet stay dry and I have no doubt that any of the snakes around here will have a tough time getting through four layers, including my pants that are stuffed down in the socks.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

yella yelper

Quote from: goldenhunter on February 18, 2011, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: Covehnter on February 18, 2011, 07:51:21 PM

They are hot. I needed new snake boots and new rubber boots so I got these. Had em for about 5 years now. Some of the camo wore off but it is black underneath so it's ok.

I tried these last year, but man they are hot

ctwny1

I bought Cabelas snake boots when they first came out and still use'em. But looking around and asking companies for test results...you would be surprised that they don't have any except for somebody who wrote a letter saying boots stopped a snake bite. If and when I go to buy another pair of snake boots I'm going with Danner Pronghorn Snake Boots. Tested,very well made and talking to people who own them very comfortable.

kyhareraiser

ok TANK, i got you an idea on the boot choice.. i've had the high classic pull on style  and loved them  so  i got me a new pair of boots for this year too,,and i chose the  BOGS  boot,,in the coperhead style ..waterproof ,snake proof and here is the best part..lifetime warranty..any leaks,soles wear out or the zipper on the copperhead tears up ,no problem..lifetime warranty and i know it's true.. i called in and got the high classics replaced free