OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Serious HTL shot size question (long post)

Started by wmahunter, January 08, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmahunter

Quote from: 2ounce6s on January 10, 2012, 01:03:05 PM
Quote from: wmahunter on January 10, 2012, 11:36:02 AM
Hal () is the man to talk to about what components you will need and where to get them.

As far as equipment, you can get an electronic scale for around $30.00 and the only other item you need is a roll crimper which is also about $30.00.   There is no need to purchase a shotshell press for the limited number of shells you will be loading for turkeys and IMO the roll crimper works better anyway.

So $60 for scale and crimper.
$49 per lb of TSS shot (assuming you can't buy smaller quantities)
So we are at $110 now.

How much for shells, wads, primers?
How many loads roughly do you fire to determine which you are going to use?

To get started, I purchased $163.00 total worth of components and that included enough shot (1 lb) to load 11 20g shells and enough of the other components to load at least 100 and some of the components came in 250 quantities so most of this will last me for years and years.  This is in addition to the $60 discussed earlier.

The only thing I will need to replenish each year would be shot. (actually, I just purchased 5 lb so I won't need to get any more of that in the near future either)

stinkpickle

Quote from: 2ounce6s on January 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM
So $270 roughly to be comfortably set up.
You ain't helping me much to build my case for this with the Wife.

:TooFunny:

Step #1:  Buy the equipment first.  Wait until the dust settles to proceed to step #2.

Step #2:  Buy the shot.

davisd9

Quote from: 2ounce6s on January 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM
So $270 roughly to be comfortably set up.
You ain't helping me much to build my case for this with the Wife.

Forgiveness is better than permission!  :TooFunny:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wmahunter

Quote from: sugarray on January 10, 2012, 12:59:45 PM
b/c is just an abbreviation for because.  Not the name of my loads.

My loads are 2 oz #8 for the 12 - Green Hornet
            1 7/16 oz #9 for the 20 -  Yellow Jacket

Cause, man than are an angry swarm and sure to sting!!

Great names!

Ctomp1974

Quote from: VAHUNTER on January 09, 2012, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: bird on January 08, 2012, 09:45:53 PM
From personal exprience I have gone back to 6's and away from the 7's because I believe that they "don't" pack the punch necessary for an immediate clean kill.
i agree bird.
i have tested 7's over and over again.sure they will kill birds.but when my back is against the tree i want to know without a doubt that the load of shot that i will be sending him will be MORE than enough to get the job done. that is why i will always use 6's
x3- At least with Hevi shot. I haven't tried the federals though.
Clint

pdqt

Its instering how peoples experience's differ. I shot a mallard this morning, in a jump shot, in the back at 30 yds. There was a #6 hd visible in the breast, when cleaned. Will I use HS #7 for turkeys NO!!!!!