Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Serious HTL shot size question (long post)

Started by wmahunter, January 08, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

TSS #9 is Tungsten Supershot sized in #9 shot.  TSS is 18 grams /Cubic Centimeter in Density.  Lead is like 11 g/cc.  Shooting TSS #9 is like shooting Lead #4.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

wmahunter

Stands for Tungsten Super Shot and it is the heaviest density shot available.

For comparison:
lead shot weighs 10.6 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cc)
hevi shot wieghs 12 g/cc
hevi-13 weighs 13 g/cc
Federal HW weighs 15 g/cc
TSS weighs 18 g/cc or almost twice what lead weighs at the same volume.

Smaller pellet at same weight means more pellets in shell and better pattern.
Since it is smaller diameter it also has less wind resistance and therefore carries downrange speed better than any of the other shot choices.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well everyone is entitled to have their own opinion on what works and what doesn't.  I say shoot what you have the most confidence in.  That's all that really matters in the end.  We each have our own thoughts on what shot works better than others.  There was a time when I swore lead #4's was the cats meow.  And I still think it will kill turkeys out to 50yds in your bigger bore guns that shoots them well like the 835.  But I also now believe that Hevi-Shot #7's will skin a turkey in its tracks at that same distance.  No need to reshow my pictures, I'm sure most have seen them.  But shot size is always going to be a big debate subject, and trying to convince others your shot is superior to theirs is really not doing anybody any good.  And most aren't going to listen anyway.  So keep shooting what you like and what you think works for you.  

Gobble!

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 09, 2012, 04:49:02 PM
Well everyone is entitled to have their own opinion on what works and what doesn't.  I say shoot what you have the most confidence in.  That's all that really matters in the end.  We each have our own thoughts on what shot works better than others.  There was a time when I swore lead #4's was the cats meow.  And I still think it will kill turkeys out to 50yds in your bigger bore guns that shoots them well like the 835.  But I also now believe that Hevi-Shot #7's will skin a turkey in its tracks at that same distance.  No need to reshow my pictures, I'm sure most have seen them.  But shot size is always going to be a big debate subject, and trying to convince others your shot is superior to theirs is really not doing anybody any good.  And most aren't going to listen anyway.  So keep shooting what you like and what you think works for you. 

bet you never thought you would say those words  :TooFunny:

GOLD HUNTER

Devastator

good topic.i think i will stay with the fed 7's in my 10,and 20.thought about the win.6's in my 12.

wmahunter

If I weren't able to load the TSS (which BTW doesn't take any unusual equipment, just a scale and roll crimp tool) I would shoot the Fed HW 7's.

sugarray

I shoot 8 b/c that was the smallest when I started 2 yrs ago.  I am not going to change just b/c 9 is out now.  I load 9 for the 20 my son shoots, and get 200 at 40. I have my loads set and will buy shot when I need it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mossy835

Quote from: sugarray on January 09, 2012, 09:41:09 PM
I shoot 8 b/c that was the smallest when I started 2 yrs ago.  I am not going to change just b/c 9 is out now.  I load 9 for the 20 my son shoots, and get 200 at 40. I have my loads set and will buy shot when I need it!
Ray just a quick question have you compared the cost per round of your B/C hand loads so we can compare to factory loads. Thanks

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I get my best patterns by far with H13 #7.  But Magnum Blend throws fine patterns too, is easier to find, and has some large pellets in it.  I'll still hunt with the 7's and 6's I have, or maybe even shoot them up trying chokes, who knows?  But I'll spend my money stocking up on Magnum Blend, when available.

wmahunter

While the cost may SEEM high, it is still by far the smallest part of my turkey hunting budget. 

I actually only shoot 4 or 5 shells a year while hunting and now that I have my gun set up, red dot sighted in, and know what my pattern does, there is really no need to do much pre-season shooting. 

Compare that to all the other costs that go into bagging a tom and the shell cost is so small that it barely even shows up on the list.

wmahunter

Hal () is the man to talk to about what components you will need and where to get them.

As far as equipment, you can get an electronic scale for around $30.00 and the only other item you need is a roll crimper which is also about $30.00.   There is no need to purchase a shotshell press for the limited number of shells you will be loading for turkeys and IMO the roll crimper works better anyway.

mossy835

Quote from:  link=topic=15485.msg171311#msg171311 date=1326202019
Quote from: mossy835 on January 10, 2012, 12:06:22 AMjust a quick question have you compared the cost per round of your B/C hand loads so we can compare to factory loads.

TSS currently costs $49/lb, and it goes up and down in price.  It will cost about $7 a shell at that price level, assuming a 2 oz 12 ga load.

If one was satisfied with getting 40 yd performance similar to the 20 ga Fed HWT 7s, then the price goes down to about $3.75 per shell. 

The beautiful thing about rolling your own is you can create what you want, particularly when you're using this shot.

So almost like when I reloaded for rifles it was more about the end result and being consistent then the cost alone.
I agree on cost per round when last year I shot/provided four HM shells for 4 turkeys and could have cared less on the individual shell costs but I did care about the one shot kills back to back for two of us. Thanks Hal for the info.

sugarray

b/c is just an abbreviation for because.  Not the name of my loads.

My loads are 2 oz #8 for the 12 - Green Hornet
            1 7/16 oz #9 for the 20 -  Yellow Jacket

Cause, man than are an angry swarm and sure to sting!!

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: wmahunter on January 10, 2012, 11:36:02 AM
Hal () is the man to talk to about what components you will need and where to get them.

As far as equipment, you can get an electronic scale for around $30.00 and the only other item you need is a roll crimper which is also about $30.00.   There is no need to purchase a shotshell press for the limited number of shells you will be loading for turkeys and IMO the roll crimper works better anyway.

roll crimping is e-zer to master and cheeper to get started if your just getting in to loading shells. its harder to put a good looking 8 star crimp on a load and takes some time to set up press and master it...... i just never got in to rolling my turkey loads, i have had my press for some time now.

brian