turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest or Back-pack

Started by ThicketThrasher, January 08, 2012, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThicketThrasher

Do any of you guys use a back-pack when turkey hunting. I have been thinking about switching from a vest to a pack. I guess the main reason is because of the way I hunt, sometimes being out all day and needing to carry a lot of water and food. Also to carry a video camera. A vest just doesn't seen to tote all that stuff very comfortably. My only concern is that I will miss my quick access to calls and such. What do you guys think?

dirt road ninja

Both. I leave the bag in the truck if I need something while switching spots it's not to far away. I really don't carry much with me. Most of the time I wear my vest only for the cushion and to carry water bottles. When I think I'll need my decoys the are in a small, light weight shoulder bag made for duck hunters. Every year it seems I carry less stuff. I've never carried video equipment, but if I did I'd go back pack.

This year I did buy a few nice pot calls, so I might buy a pot holster that can go on my belt. In the past as I  had some water, a few diaphragms in my pocket, something to sit on, and my shotgun I was happy.

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ncturkey

I use a vest and a fannypack. Plus I carry a special cushion.

gob09

i use a vest in the past for the cushion but since i now have a chair i will likely take the cushion off most of the time i carry two water bottles and a few candy bars and crackers calls T.P. and cell phone decoys and thats about it never tookk a camera

spurman

Both, vest for the small stuff and backpack for larger items. For me a backpack is the best way to carry out my turkey.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

guesswho

Vest for me.  I hunt all day a lot as well, the vest is organized and I can get what I need without having to think about it or look  for it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

C J Stahly

I have carried a backpack and vest, however, I like my fannypack and vest combo.  I put my snacks and water in the fannypack, and all my bird stuff in the vest.  It seemed to work well for me. 

WildTigerTrout

I use a vest. I know where everything is located and can get to anything I want FAST. I carry a light cushion and  my one hen decoy in the back pocket. Last year I carried my gobbler out about a mile strapped across the back pocket of my vest. It worked great. I also carry quite an array of calls and like to know where each and every one is. In the vest I know.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ol'Mossy

I use a vest but have been thinking about taking the backpack

njdevilsb

Vest.  Here in NY, we can't hunt all day, so food usually isn't a problem.  If I take water, I just toss it in the back where you can put your bird to carry them out.  I've never used that part anyway.  There's nothing like slinging one over your shoulder for the walk out.

sugarray

I am going to try a backpack this year, maybe find a fanny pack.  Not sure, still looking.  Vest is not the way to carry tripod, camera, video camera, binoculars, range finder, food, water, etc, a BP is much better suited.  Also, I am hoping to be able to take both of my kids, and that is a lot of stuff to take along with a blind, chairs. 

OLE RASPY

im hunting i aint going on vacation. :laugh:

West Augusta

Vest but I have two fanny packs woven into my set up seat.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.