OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vest or Back-pack

Started by ThicketThrasher, January 08, 2012, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThicketThrasher

Well I got my new backpack today after  quite a but of searching.  I got the Browning Hawthorne. I packed all my stuff in it and put it on to see how it felt. I believe it will be fine. I don't really like the way it secures my gun but other than that, I like it. I'm gonna load it down and go out scouting in the morning to see if it suits me or not.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ThicketThrasher

Here is the pack with some turkey stuff in it. I have to figure a way to get my seat on here and I have found that there is absolutely no quick access to anything. So I have to find a way to tote a tube and mouth calls so that I can get to them quickly. Any suggestions?

timberjack86

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 08, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
I use a vest. I know where everything is located and can get to anything I want FAST. I carry a light cushion and  my one hen decoy in the back pocket. Last year I carried my gobbler out about a mile strapped across the back pocket of my vest. It worked great. I also carry quite an array of calls and like to know where each and every one is. In the vest I know.
:agreed:

swamp_bird89

Had the same vest for the past 5 years.....don't need one to kill a turkey, but I like having it like to spend all day in the woods.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on January 08, 2012, 04:49:01 PM
Do any of you guys use a back-pack when turkey hunting. I have been thinking about switching from a vest to a pack. I guess the main reason is because of the way I hunt, sometimes being out all day and needing to carry a lot of water and food. Also to carry a video camera. A vest just doesn't seen to tote all that stuff very comfortably. My only concern is that I will miss my quick access to calls and such. What do you guys think?

I use a fanny pack with 7 pockets holds alot of stuff and is easy to carry and quick access

agturkey

Find you an eastman deluxe vest and you have a pad vet and all the storage you need.  Find a way to customize the lower hanging pockets.

strut and spurs

smitty1hunter

I started using this one last year by Hunter Specialties. I needed something without a vest because I hunt in South Mississippi and Louisiana and it gets hot down here quick. In the late season I may just use my fanny pack, it gets that hot!

Doublej

Use a backpack last year, it was my first hear turkey hunting. Worked ok but I got a vest for this year

turkey slayer

mcgruff1533

Vest with an attached, fold out seat.    It has more than enough room for decoys, calls, binoculars, a bottle or two of water and some bug dope.

It carries everything I need and still has some unused pockets.

handcannon

Gotta stick with my vest. I can find anything I need in my vest without looking for it. Everything has its own spot year after year.

flintlock

I like my old vest, not much too it, but that is why I like it! I throw 2 water bottles in the back and run on w/it.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

gobbler777

my vest carries it all ... even kitchen sink
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Jay

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on January 08, 2012, 04:49:01 PM
Do any of you guys use a back-pack when turkey hunting. I have been thinking about switching from a vest to a pack. I guess the main reason is because of the way I hunt, sometimes being out all day and needing to carry a lot of water and food. Also to carry a video camera. A vest just doesn't seen to tote all that stuff very comfortably. My only concern is that I will miss my quick access to calls and such. What do you guys think?
You almost have to use both at times. Usually it's just a vest.