OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

having my Little Big Horn vest rebuilt!

Started by reynolds243, January 08, 2012, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customgunsocks

I just ordered a little fabric of the leaves on fabric that they make ghillie suits from. Would anyone like to see a little of this stuff here and there on this chair????? I will try and post a few pics tonight of the frame and whatever.
Also, I have 2 inch high quality foam in stock, the old version was 2 inch foam for the seat(dont think it is high quality), I have decided this morning to order 3 inch high quality, that should make everyones butt happy, If that doesnt do it, we could design some straps so you can carry your living room recliner:)

reynolds243

Quote from: customgunsocks on January 14, 2012, 05:23:27 AM
I just ordered a little fabric of the leaves on fabric that they make ghillie suits from. Would anyone like to see a little of this stuff here and there on this chair????? I will try and post a few pics tonight of the frame and whatever.
Also, I have 2 inch high quality foam in stock, the old version was 2 inch foam for the seat(dont think it is high quality), I have decided this morning to order 3 inch high quality, that should make everyones butt happy, If that doesnt do it, we could design some straps so you can carry your living room recliner:)

yup, i love the idea of 3-d material on the very back for anything coming that direction by chance as well as on the straps.

Gamblinman

Since you're essentially building from scratch, might want to look at using some Claw straps for shoulder straps.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

customgunsocks

Im not sure what claw straps are,? we made our harness part yesterday, identical to the old but with shoulder pads attached with furniture foam.

While Im writing, I am thinking on putting a drainage grommett on the floor of the storage pouch in the back, I can only picture the old version half filling up with water if its raining. My 3 inch foam is on its way

customgunsocks

We also noticed the old one is just bare fabric, its all wore out on the tubing and some pockets. We are going to line the back rest with our rip stop nylon, more water proof and the tubing will be rubbing on it and not directly on the finished camo fabric. Main large pockets will be lined with this also and all pocket covers will be lined underneath. Also, we are lining the seat foam,the foam will be all  incased in this rip stop nylon, then the cover will go over this.

gobblingghost

I personally put a lot more foam in the seat and in the back. But i often wondered if you could put a gell mat in the seat. I wouls aldo like to see before and after pictures.

customgunsocks

Anything made out there in hunting accessories is made out of a 2 inch cheap foam. We are not only going to 3 inches, we use a high quality memory foam, 3 inches is plenty thick. gel pads would puncture eventually, and in the weather, they get hard, stiff and cold. Not counting the price woul be something out of this world. Were trying our best to upgrade this version to the baest materials possible but at the same time have to keep the price down or they wont sell. 3 inches of furniture foam is equal to like 6 inches of that cheap foam the big box store uses.

reynolds243

Tom i am chomping at the bit here to see what you got and get my hands on this lol sounds like you are going to have a very sweet product!

how long you think till i might have a big christmas present at my door :) :)

customgunsocks

im trying. why the first one takes alot longer is i have to have a general improvents plan in mind, then make templates of all the pockets, lengths on strapping, of everything,ect. The next one we build all this is done, just cut it all out and put it together.I will post pics of the frame tonight and the harness, today im working on the big pockets and attaching things to the outside of the big zippered pockets. There isnt a whole lot I can do with yours but put on some padded shoulder straps, make a few new pockets for the ones that are full of holes, I cant take yours apart, it will ruin it or whats left of it, so we have to sew with it on its frame. The pockets that the zippers work and have no holes we are leaving alone.

customgunsocks

NOTICE: Now would be a good time to post this, cause I know whats going to happen on down the road, so this should resolve any concerns on behalf of Real Tree.:......
This Real Tree fabric was given to us. This chair /vest we are making is our prototype and is being given away for free!! When thesse actually go on our website for sale, they will be made from, M2D, Vanish, or Real Oak patterned camo whichis not affliated with Real Tree Corp. This prototype that we are giving away is for pictures only, not for resale. This goes for any and all pictures posted here tonight and from now on. We are not affliated with Real Tree nor use their camo fabrics and that goes for Mossy oak fabrics also. The camos we use, we have permission and are privatley owned. ONCE again, we will not be making our gear from any Real Tree registered camo fabrics!Tom

reynolds243

Quote from: customgunsocks on January 15, 2012, 09:46:30 AM
im trying. why the first one takes alot longer is i have to have a general improvents plan in mind, then make templates of all the pockets, lengths on strapping, of everything,ect. The next one we build all this is done, just cut it all out and put it together.I will post pics of the frame tonight and the harness, today im working on the big pockets and attaching things to the outside of the big zippered pockets. There isnt a whole lot I can do with yours but put on some padded shoulder straps, make a few new pockets for the ones that are full of holes, I cant take yours apart, it will ruin it or whats left of it, so we have to sew with it on its frame. The pockets that the zippers work and have no holes we are leaving alone.

Gotcha no worries just excited to see how it all comes together and feels! As far as my old one that is understandable and perfectly fine.

customgunsocks

I didnt know this post was here, just sent you a pm. Just drove 120 miles over this frame and it was a waste. threw a bunch of brand new fabric away today, i think Im going to walk away from it for a cpl hours.LOL.

customgunsocks

REYNOLDS243...here is a pic of your old vest, we put a cap on the top of the backrest where the pipe had torn through the fabric, in the background is our new frame,,,a tad higher-a tad wider.

customgunsocks

Okay, here is the vest part of the new version, same large zippered pockets behind all the pockets on the surface

customgunsocks

Okay reynokds, here is foam shoulder pads we put on your old one and this is about the best we could do cutting your old leafy pants up to put on the back.The leaves still need sewn down in pic,