OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

having my Little Big Horn vest rebuilt!

Started by reynolds243, January 08, 2012, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

have had a little big horn lounger for a long time and it is starting to really show some wear. After speaking with Tom over at Usahuntingear he has agreed to take on the task of rebuilding it for me to get it back to its original shape, in addition to some minor modifications to it that would make it more personal to me.

In addition Tom is going to get all the measurements off it and some other input to try and make a vest like this in the future for other folks....without a doubt the best vest ever made for the woods so looking forward to getting mine back to "brand new".  Wish they didnt quit making them years ago and there is NONE to be found via the internet. If anyone else has one or is interested in one like it hit Tom up and see what he can do for you.

Will keep you up to date on the progress.....Thanks again Tom for working with me in all this.

savduck

I had one. I thought the shoulder straps and size of pockets needed some re-design but the rest was jam up.

Congrats. Bet you'll be happy to have her in tip top condition again.
Georgia Boy

reynolds243

yeah i asked him to redo the straps to add pads and some minor pocket work as wells add some 3-d material to the back where the decoys go (had an old pair of 3-d pants to use for material)

gob09

hey man thats great i love the fact that you are reuseing mateiral and getting a vest rebuilt
PLEASE let us know how it comes out i might have to git rid of one of my vests just to justiffy getting one for myself

customgunsocks

I dont think he wants to answer so I will anser for him. he was the first to respond when I was asking for some measurments of this old vest/chair. I didnt get alot from the pics and we want to start making them. So I offered to rebuild it all so I could get the design for free. So, I will be posting pics as we progress.
I did get the new magets in, metal called neodymium, they are 8 times stronger then a houshold magnet and are only 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/16 inch thick. The problem is, its back to the drawing board, they chaged me 7.00 shipping for something that is half the size of a roll of dimes and the instructions say, Do not get by a pacemaker, they will mess it up, do not burn-they give off toxic fumes(what the heck they are steel?). SO Im thinking of not using them, they dont tell you that when ordering:)) And something that weighs 1/2 ouce for thqat kind of shipping, thast is one of my pet peeves on shipping. soooo.....other then that, just waiting for it to get here.

Neill_Prater

A friend of mine has one and loves it. He talked me into buying one, but by then, they had gone out of business. I looked at some at Bass Pro based on the same principal, but they all looked Mickey Mouse to me. The main drawback of the Big Horn is the weight, but I bought a Gobbler Lounger this year, so if I carry that, I'll have the additional weight anyway.

I think there is definitely a market for this type of vest, and am guessing there were more problems other than lack of sales which caused the company to fail.

stinkpickle

Sweet!  I can't wait to see how this turns out.

gob09

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 09, 2012, 01:21:06 PM
Sweet!  I can't wait to see how this turns out.
me niether sounds like it'll be a great vest if it is i'll sell the two i have to get one

reynolds243

Tom, it left UPS this morning so you should have it shortly......take care of my baby lol

(is it bad that i felt like i was sending one of my kids off when i left the UPS store hahahah)

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes

agturkey

Eastman makes even one better than little big horn

reynolds243

Quote from: agturkey on January 09, 2012, 10:07:25 PM
Eastman makes even one better than little big horn

same concept but not a fan of the pocket system or the kick stand type frame. I have sat on one of these and they are nice yes but definitly need some work to them.

the stand design is decent but the bar will sink pretty easy in sand or soft dirt and as stated i am really not a fan of how they designed the pockets for it.

customgunsocks

Okay, the vest arrived yesterday, we decided after we fix up this one for reynolds, we are going to make them. There can be some changes made to make this much better! Mr. reynolds paid an arm and leg to ship it to me becuase of the frame. We will definately be making the frame in 2 pieces so it can store away flat. Another thing we are doing is getting rid of alot of those nasty zippers, we figured out how to incorporate our striker pouch, when your sitting there it shpuld just about unroll itdelf, take out a striker and roll it back up or leave it open while sitting. We are getting rid of the pocets on the inside of the belt, the few hunters we have spoken to do not like them and neither do I, they are in a bad place. Let me ask this for those of you that own one, what do you use that zippered pocket that runs down the back of the chair, it has an orange flag sewn in it???? Is this something important to most of you? Were going to start on it today

stinkpickle

Quote from: customgunsocks on January 12, 2012, 05:11:46 AM
...We will definately be making the frame in 2 pieces so it can store away flat....

I like that idea.