Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone have experience with dog seizures ??

Started by shadetree callers, January 06, 2012, 09:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadetree callers

I have a 7 yr old rottweiler who developed seizures a few months ago . They have been occuring about once every 2-3 weeks . This week she has had 3 seizures in 2 days . The after affects are getting longer and longer each time .I am very worried about my girl now . Does anyone have experience with seizures or know anything that may cause them or relieve them . Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks !
Bob

sugarray

The only thing that will help is medicine.  Have you had her to the vet?

Could be a tumor or problem with the blood vessels in the brain or electrolyte imbalance (sugar, salt, potassium) or even a heart problem that is not getting enough blood to the brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Augusta

When I was younger, we had a Cocker Spaniel that had epilepsy.  She would have a seizures every now and then.  I would sit beside her, she would crawl up in my lap until it was over.  Then get her outside fast.  She lived to be 14.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Neill_Prater

Yes, we had a Schnauzer that started having seizures when he was probably 10 or so. I cannot remember what it was the vet put him on, but it was something you would never consider as a treatment for seizures, and was not expensive. It worked well, for a time, but he eventually began to have them more frequently, and finally died from one. The vet said it puts a strain on the heart each time they have one. You need to have you dog checked out by a vet.

njdevilsb

We had a Terrier that developed seizures with old age.  The vet put him on Phenobarbital, which helped, but it made him so out of it that all he did was sleep all day.  He still had them on and off.  He never got better and eventually passed at the age of 17.  I'm thinking it may be something different with your dog since she's only 7.  Get her to the vet ASAP.

Kylongspur88

I have read that some flea medicines give dog seizures. Definitely needs to see the vet. Good luck.

M,Yingling

Our dog got epilepsy, Vet says it pretty common in dogs pill twice day helps
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: West Augusta on January 06, 2012, 10:06:29 AM
When I was younger, we had a Cocker Spaniel that had epilepsy.  She would have a seizures every now and then.  I would sit beside her, she would crawl up in my lap until it was over.  Then get her outside fast.  She lived to be 14.

Same here, I had a lab/shepherd mix that would take seisures, took him to the vet and got medicine, he lived to be 14

ctwny1

I was a Professional Retriever Trainer for over 30 years and campained retriever in licensed field trials so I do have a ton of experience. A seizure is a electrical short in the brain. The meds that a Vet gives you really doesn't help and has to be given when the dog goes into this seizure and very very hard to do. I highly suggest you get this dog under a Vet's care the sooner the better. Now this short in the brain does not get better and as time goes on the seizure will get more often and longer. Again I highly suggest you get this dog under a Vet's care ASAP.

SinGin

My wifes dog started having them about a year ago. We took her to the vet and he said it was a fluid build up around her heart. He put her on lasecs(spelling) and it seems to help. It just makes her pee alot more.

sugarray

Quote from: ctwny1 on January 07, 2012, 11:41:07 AM
I was a Professional Retriever Trainer for over 30 years and campained retriever in licensed field trials so I do have a ton of experience. A seizure is a electrical short in the brain. The meds that a Vet gives you really doesn't help and has to be given when the dog goes into this seizure and very very hard to do. I highly suggest you get this dog under a Vet's care the sooner the better. Now this short in the brain does not get better and as time goes on the seizure will get more often and longer. Again I highly suggest you get this dog under a Vet's care ASAP.

Partially true.  That medicine is to stop the seizure.  There is medicine to be taken every day to help prevent or lessen the number of seizures a day.

savduck

I had a bird dog that lived to 17 that had them, her last six months of life. Her liver was failing and thats waht was causing them
Georgia Boy

clarksvalley

my wife and i went thourgh the same thing this past april and may with our 9 year old setter.
he was very distant and anti-social then he had his first seizure.after going to our local vet.
and running test could`nt find anything.we went made the trip to a neurolgist because the seizures
were becoming more often and intense.after an mri revealed jake had a brain tumor.he was put on
a med. called zonisamide for the seizure and prednisone for his mood and to help shrink the tumor.
it worked for awhile and i had my jake back,but then the seizure came back because it just was`nt
caught in time and we had to make the decsion.our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Reloader

My MIL's dog had them for the last year or so of her life.  Meds a couple times a day was about the only thing that helped.

customgunsocks