OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need some advice on picking a turkey gun.

Started by paradis1142, January 05, 2012, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paradis1142

I have been using my 870 express but want to get a dedicated turkey killer this year.  What should I get?  I would like to keep the price at $700 or so total but do have some give in that number.  Should I just geta used 835($350 or so) and spend the rest on optics and choke tubes?  Or should I spend the bulk of it and get an auto like a 11-87?  What would you do?  This will be a turkey only gun so I dont care about any other aspects other than the big ugly bird whacking.

davisd9

For $350 you should be able to get a brand new 835.  I went with the 835 and love it.  If not it a 870 SM.  There are so many chokes and accessories for those two which are easy to find and reasonable.  I would use 350 for an 835 and get a good scope/red dot and then buy some chokes and shells to pattern with.  After you find your choke/shell combo you should not have too much trouble getting rid of the others, maybe the shells because of shipping cost.  In chokes I would start with a Pure Gold, Primos Jelly Head, Indian Creek, and Sum Toy.  In shells I would try so Hevi shot Mag Blends and #6s and then the Winchester version of Hevi in 6s.  Good luck and let us know how it goes and everything.

In my 835 I have a Star Dot .676 using Mag Blends.  At 40 I get 176 in 10".  Great, even hunting pattern for me.  GOOD LUCK!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

West Augusta

You have an excellent turkey killer.  Put a 24" barrel on it with a .665 Jellyhead get some Hevi-13 MagBlends and a red dot scope and you are there. A laminated stock and a Limb Saver pad doesn't hurt either.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on January 05, 2012, 01:31:55 PM
For $350 you should be able to get a brand new 835.  I went with the 835 and love it.  If not it a 870 SM.  There are so many chokes and accessories for those two which are easy to find and reasonable.  I would use 350 for an 835 and get a good scope/red dot and then buy some chokes and shells to pattern with.  After you find your choke/shell combo you should not have too much trouble getting rid of the others, maybe the shells because of shipping cost.  In chokes I would start with a Pure Gold, Primos Jelly Head, Indian Creek, and Sum Toy.  In shells I would try so Hevi shot Mag Blends and #6s and then the Winchester version of Hevi in 6s.  Good luck and let us know how it goes and everything.

In my 835 I have a Star Dot .676 using Mag Blends.  At 40 I get 176 in 10".  Great, even hunting pattern for me.  GOOD LUCK!

I agree, 835 cannot be beat.  I have a preference for them since I am a left handed shooter, they have an ambiodextrous safety.  Last season I used the Star Dot w/ the Hevi 3.5" 7'
s and was puttng around 240 in a 10" circle at 40.  I know if you can get a Star Dot for the 870 you can get good patterns using Win. Supreme HV 3.5" #5's also.  Keep us posted!

gob09

I'm partial to the moss.835 and 935's  a big reason is price and another is the over bored barrels 870's can be great for turkey also
with 700 dollars you can get a 935 and lots of accessories
the other day i seen  a really nice 935 full camo and an extra slug barrel 450

chatterbox

I would go 835, PG or SumToy choke, and a scope or red dot of your choice.
I don't feel the 835 can be beat as far as patterns go. I love mine.

bird

I will put my Rem 870SM up against any 835 any day of the year for pattern, shooting comfort, and Dependability.

hookedspur

Quote from: bird on January 05, 2012, 05:42:26 PM
I will put my Rem 870SM up against any 835 any day of the year for pattern, shooting comfort, and Dependability.

What he said !!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobblingghost

How does everyone feel about Benelli, Franchi and Stoger

maustypsu

It sounds like you already have a gun capable of killing turkeys.  So I'm assuming you want something special.

I bought a Benelli M1 in full camo for less than $750.

You could get a used beretta or benelli in semi auto.  Or you could get a nice browning pump in full camo and still have money left for optics and accessories.

If you really want to kill turkeys for $700 you could get an AR to extend your range a few hundred yards past 40.   :goofball:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll be honest with you, and I have both guns.  The 870 Express 3" chamber gun I have is a very good shooting gun, and I honestly believe that it is built better than my 835.  Now having said that if I had one gun to keep out of the 2 I would keep the 870 in all liklihood.  But I will be the first to tell you that the 835 likes the big loads.  And if you had a say great shooting 870 Super Mag it would more than likely not shoot as well as the 835 with the bigger .775 bore barrel with the 3.5 Hevi-13 loads.  It would take one hell of a 870 Super Mag and choke to out shoot a 835 and a Star Dot choke.  My 835 functions perfectly and shoots extremely well.  It works every single time without any mishaps.  And like I said it shoots better than most other brands consistently.

dirt road ninja

The birds won't know the difference. If I were looking for another 12 it would be the 935. The two main reasons are, it's gonna shoot and I already have several chokes. If you already have a few turkey chokes for the remy you might be more inclined to buy the 11-87. I would skip the scope and bolt on a nice set of open sights on either rig. Both are going to perform well at any ethical range. 

CASH

Get whatever fits you.  Shoulder all the different brands.  You'll know which one will be right for you.  You're gonna have Haters for every kind of shotgun.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

davisd9

Quote from: CASH on January 06, 2012, 01:12:08 AM
Get whatever fits you.  Shoulder all the different brands.  You'll know which one will be right for you.  You're gonna have Haters for every kind of shotgun.

This is the best advice that has been given.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on January 06, 2012, 07:45:18 AM
Quote from: CASH on January 06, 2012, 01:12:08 AM

This is the best advice that has been given.

I agree with you guys.  Both are very good guns.  Just do what I did and buy both.  That way you can take your pick each day.   :you_rock: