turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I May Go Back to Lead!!!!!!!!!

Started by Neill_Prater, January 05, 2012, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaswamp

go back to lead...I thought turkeys had evolved where it wouldn't kill em anymore ???

westtennhunter

I'm going to shoot what I feel is the deadliest load out there regardless of price. When you figure $3 a gallon gas, lease prices, etc., Spending $50 a year on shells is chickenfeed.

reynolds243

as some others said i personally like hevi better, if nothing else just the confidence factor. I also agree that with all the money in a turkey gun and calls why not get the best ammo you can. Once it is sighted in a box can last a full year or more (depending on your limits)

also i got hevi #6 and magblends from academy just a few days ago for $19.99 a box. there is nothing wrong with lead and i hunted and killed with it for years though, to each his own.

campcreekfarm

Gobble!

Might as well buy Nitros if its going to cost $6 a shell.

reynolds243

Quote from: Gobble! on January 09, 2012, 07:26:23 PM

$5 divided by $20 = $4 a shell. if you look around you can find them for $20 a box pretty easy and i am sure Hevi will do the rebate again this year.

now i will agree 5 shells for $35 bucks (nitros) is a bit more then i am willing to go.

WildTigerTrout

quote author=gaswamp link=topic=15346.msg170800#msg170800 date=1326133927]
go back to lead...I thought turkeys had evolved where it wouldn't kill em anymore ???
[/quote] :OGturkeyhead: :lol: Me too!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

goblr77

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 09, 2012, 09:30:59 AM
I'll gladly pay for the stone cold dead performance I get out of hevi13.

If ya shoot 10 turkeys a spring, you'll have exhausted 60 bucks.  That's a negligible amount in contrast to total investment in turkey guns, calls, camo, tags and travel cost each spring.

I can't see denying performance in favor of saving a couple bucks.

I hear ya! :agreed:

mnbeardbuster

I won't argue that lead kills turkeys.  I killed my first bird with it, but what has been show in many threads here that many have able to increase the number of pellets in their patterns by switching to smaller HTL shot while maintaining the energy to ethically kill a bird.  My time in the turkey woods is very limited and I feel that the advantage HTL gives me is worth the added expense. 

buck_hunter21

I am not going back. Hevi 7's put a pounding on birds.
Spill Blood

Gobble!

Quote from: reynolds243 on January 09, 2012, 07:31:04 PM

$5 divided by $20 = $4 a shell. if you look around you can find them for $20 a box pretty easy and i am sure Hevi will do the rebate again this year.

now i will agree 5 shells for $35 bucks (nitros) is a bit more then i am willing to go.

$5 divided by $20 = $.25 a shell. But I know what you mean  :TooFunny:

reynolds243

Quote from: Gobble! on January 11, 2012, 08:48:08 PM
Quote from: reynolds243 on January 09, 2012, 07:31:04 PM

$5 divided by $20 = $.25 a shell. But I know what you mean  :TooFunny:

hahaha Touche

DUPREE

Like others have said, I don't mind having an extra few dollars when I pull the trigger. I have "missed" plenty with lead, my federals are batting .1000.

Longshanks

I just shoot what patterns best..the cost of the shell is minimal considering i can only shoot 3 turkeys here in MS. It cost 20.00 in gas everytime i go hunting locally.  Hevi 13 3-2-6 , Hevi 13 3.5-2.25-7, and Hevi 13 3-2-7 pattern the best out of all of my guns by far.. I have found Hevi 13 6's numerous times for 19.99 for a box of five. Thats about 4.25 a shot. 12.75 to kill three turkeys doesnt exactly break the bank and if it did i would have to find another hobby. I agree with VATKYStomper..Anyone traveling around the country to kill 10 turkeys is definately not concerned about the bottomline when it comes to hunting expenditures. Thats kinda like saving 50.00 and spending 5,000.00.  I can sleep in a couple of mornings when there are adverse conditions and more than pay for my shells. I would say shoot what ever shell patterns best and provides the cleanest most ethical kill.  Its about respect for the wild turkey.  I have friends that bowhunt them and lose a significant number of birds.  It is fun to bowhunt them but not worth crippling them to me. When i pull the trigger i want to do everything i can to have to best chance of putting him down cleanly and effectively. :boon: