turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I May Go Back to Lead!!!!!!!!!

Started by Neill_Prater, January 05, 2012, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I tried some Hevi-13's for the first time last year, in #7 and the Mag-Blend. I didn't get all that good a pattern with the 7's in my guns, and wanted to try some 6's before this spring. I just checked Cabelas, and they are now $26.99 for a box of 5, 3 inch! Yikes! I'm sure they were under $20 last year, plus had a $5 rebate per box. With shipping, that would run me over $6 a shell.

When I'm actually hunting, I don't mind the cost that much, but geez, it is tough for me to blow 6 bucks patterning on a piece of paper, not to mention the expense if they don't work out, which is often the case.

Crappiepro

I'm sticking with the lead myself! I've been on the fence for awhile about switching to the heavy's. Yeah, the price is my main concern with having to find that shot/choke combo. I have 4 turkey guns and could set anyone of those up for the heavy stuff but I can't seem to find the heavy type brands locally without having to order them, which adds to the price per shot.
I enjoy just shooting the guns but if I paid $6 or more a shot, I wouldn't be shooting as much LOL. I've done well with lead so far. I won't switch over until its a mandatory environmental thing, which I think we'll see here in Indiana very soon.
So your not the only one!  Good Luck!

bird

I no longer shoot Hevi-13's either.  I switched to Winchester HD loads!

fallhnt

I bought a choke and hevi 5 and 6 shot.I could not get it to pattern in eather of my turkeys guns,so I don't use it.I didn't want to move the sight on my pump and my auto is a bead sight.I only gun hunt turkey in the fall and impress myself with some of the birds I have taken at ranges with lead.(40-45 yrds)I hear a lot of BS about peole shooting birds a 70 plus yrds.with hevi shot.I think that takes out some of the fun.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

You won't see this boy dumping $6 a shell either.  Not when I can catch Win HV's on sale for around $10 a box and kill the same amount.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Crappiepro

Quote from: guesswho on January 05, 2012, 01:15:48 PM
You won't see this boy dumping $6 a shell either.  Not when I can catch Win HV's on sale for around $10 a box and kill the same amount.
My Local Wal-mart has been sellin the Winchester High Velosity 3" 5 and 6 shots for $9.97 abox. I been buyin it up! I was also able to get it in 20ga. at that price too!

Reloader

If 45yds is all a man needs, lead will do just fine.

frank1969

never switched to hevi and never will lead has worked for many years and if you bring them in close like i was taught a 410 will do the job i cant see anythrill with shooting birds at 40 to 60 yards i love 20 and in

surehuntsalot

I use the htl loads some,but I still love my lead loads also
I use lead very often every season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TauntoHawk

Quote from:  link=topic=15346.msg169084#msg169084 date=1325857320
The biggest difference I've noticed since moving on from lead is that they don't do a lot of back flips and somersaults and stuff with the TSS, like they did with lead.  They lay a lot stiller after I shoot them now.  And it gives set up cushion that is kinda nice.  Even though I shoot the most expensive stuff out there, ammo is by far the cheapest component of my annual turkey hunting expenditures.  And I don't see the point in skimping at the moment of truth on the one thing that will make the most difference.  I figure I can skimp at McDonalds a couple times a year to save up for the ammo....

Feel the same way man, same as when people complain about a $40 3-pack of broadheads for their $1000 bow.. im not skimping on the one piece of equipment that actually does the killing

My birds were killed at 29 and 33 last year, easy lead range even with a factory choke but their heads looked like I shot them with buckshot at 6ft and thtas a piece of mind you cant buy. No flopping no need to stand on their necks

Price of shells does suck some of the fun out of patterning though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gob09

i would be shooting lead if i had'nt found some mag blends really cheap im gonna try'em out and see

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If you're lucky like me, and your rig shoots the same POI with Lead and HTL, you can both practice and hunt with Lead, but when an extra edge is required, it sure is nice to know that you have HTL loads in your vest for more open setups.

Location, setup, calling, and gun-choke-load combo; in that order.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'll gladly pay for the stone cold dead performance I get out of hevi13.

If ya shoot 10 turkeys a spring, you'll have exhausted 60 bucks.  That's a negligible amount in contrast to total investment in turkey guns, calls, camo, tags and travel cost each spring.

I can't see denying performance in favor of saving a couple bucks.

rbreedi1

I feel ya.. its hard to drop that kind of money on 5 shells.
Thunder Ridge Totes

mcgruff1533

Did Tungsten prices jump again, or are we still feeling the effects of last years price increase?    I'm glad I stocked up on Hevi 3-2-7's last year.    Looks like the prices are $4 to $5 more per box than last year. :bike2: