turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last Call?

Started by guesswho, January 04, 2012, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I know a lot of us have been present on others first birds.  It's a special time no doubt. 

But have you ever been present on someones last bird?  I've been in on two in my life.   As spring approaches I find myself reliving those hunts.  At first it was a saddening memory for me, but now I find myself remembering those last hunts with a smile on my face and feeling blessed to have been a part of it.   

R.I.P Rex and Big'un, save a bird for me and we'll do it again someday.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

VAHUNTER

No Ronnie i have never been on "A last hunt" but if it ever happens it will be a hunt that i would always look back on and Cherish
Good things come to those who wait

redarrow

Thats a cool tribute Ronnie., but no I havent.

vaturkey

Yes Ronnie I have

My son Rick died 6 years ago this month at the age of 25. I called in the last gobbler he ever killed. That very same spring I killed a big gobbler on the same ridge. I had it mounted in his honor.

RIP  Rick   :jesus-cross:
Vaturkey

Devastator

never thought of that.the old man that got me hooked on this great sport will be 84 and is able to walk ..alright,may take him for a walk this spring.i owe that to him.he gave me a lohman scratch box when i was 15 that sounded aweful.was supposed to be up at 430 the next year the last day of the pa season to go with him and he left the house without me cause i wasn't up.got up at 600 and walked up the road and set in a neighbors property and listened to a bird gobble for 3 hours non stop to what the old boy said(3 yelps every 15 min.)finally made my move to close the distance without calling and set up in a hedge row and i set up by a tree and tried to make 3 yelps from a ben lee box,yelp,yelp,yelp,gooobbble 20 yards in the woods corner.put the call down and i had my dads 16 gauge single shot with what the old guy told me for shells,#8 shot because it penetrated the feathers better,low brass to boot lol.here come the bird out of the corner and i was shakeing like a leaf and had one hell of a time trying to pull the hammer back.it was a bird that all the big dogs in the area were after and i walked down the road with him over my shoulder like i was the greatest person in this world.think i may pay the old boy a visit this weekend and thank him.

chatterbox

I was involved in a special deer hunt 4 years ago.
A good friend of mine was in his tree stand, and his dad and I were pushing for him.
As I came over the ridge, I heard a gunshot. My buddy's dad and I had pushed a nice buck to him, and he was fortunate and tagged out that cold November morning.
Well, that was my buddy's first deer, and the last hunt his dad participated in. We lost him the following spring, and I always thought how special it was that Wes' dad was there to see him harvest that fine animal.
RIP, Terry :cross2:

mossy835

Not turkeys but deer, once in Utah with my dad and I left the meat for him to make dinners with in the winter and again with my best friend 6 months younger than me on his first elk kill. My dad passed away in Utah and I will always remember that last weekend with him. Ben my friend hunted and prospected together for years, he went into the hospital with a stroke and did not make it out. Rest in peace both of you. :jesus-cross:

Hognutz

Great question.. I have been involved in many first birds, but never a ''last bird.'' Those are the things you will remember when, perhaps, your memory starts to fail..Gosh, I sure hope so..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

guesswho

Cool tributes Everyone.  I hope there will be a next hunt together for you and yours someday.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

My buddy Marvin Robbins came to CA in April of 2009 to turkey hunt with me. This was something we did on a yearly basis, somewhere. That first morning we were almost to our destination when Marvin said UH OH, I think I forgot my shells. We looked and he didn't have a shell on him. I only had 3 1/2" and his gun shoots only 3". So he says your up, lets go hunting. We called in a big old gobbler that strutted perfectly across a green pasture right to us and I killed him. The next morning I made sure he had shells and we headed out to the same area because there were several turkeys gobbling. We ended up calling the whole flock right to us and Marvin killed the strutter. I got it all on tape. A few days later I took him to the airport and said goodbye. When I left him the Lord told me that I would never see him again. I talked to him a few times on the phone and on Oct 22nd 2009 he was on a deer hunt and after killing a deer he walked up to it and had a massive heart attack and died laying next to the buck. The way he would have wanted to go. So yes I have been on a last turkey hunt with my best friend and will one day see him again.

TRKYHTR
Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

flintlock

Not yet, thankfully.   I am sure it will happen and it will be a cherished time for sure!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Neill_Prater

Ronnie, this is a great post, which, well, gets a person to thinking. My Dad died in 1970, before turkey hunting was common in most of Missouri, so he never turkey hunted, but he was an avid quail hunter. I wish I could recall the very last hunt we took together, but I honestly cannot. I remember many days in the field with Dad, from the time I was barely old enough to walk, and I'm sure the last hunt is mixed in there somewhere, but my memory is unable to separate it from the others.

No matter, though, because I think of him often every spring, and wish I, just once, could have called a big gobbler in for him. Neill

drenalinld

Not a gobbler hunt, but similar story. I had the good fortune of introducing my boss who became a good friend and hunting buddy to turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting. I helped call up his first gobbler a couple years ago. I was with him last Friday on a great hunt where 8 of us killed our limit. I was with him Monday morning on a fantastic hunt that was cut short when he collapsed from an apparent massive heart attack just a few seconds after shooting a beautiful greenhead.

I am very grateful for the hunts we shared and that he went quickly while doing something he enjoyed so much.

gob09

although i have none these are all great stories and memories to be cherished a life time thank you for sharing

:( you guys are killing me i get too emotional when i read stories like this

guesswho

Quote from: gob09 on January 06, 2012, 08:03:24 AM
:( you guys are killing me i get too emotional when i read stories like this
Talk about emotional.  You should go and sit at the same tree where you watched a hunting partner kill their last turkey, deer, duck or whatever.  I sat at one last year and was actually working a bird.  I wanted so bad to kill a bird against that tree but it just didn't work out, but it is on my to do list.   All kinds of emotions storm your body in a situation like that, at least they did mine.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff