OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WTB Little Big Horn turkey vest

Started by reynolds243, January 01, 2012, 03:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

anyone by chance have a little big horn turkey vest they are not using or would like to sell? i currently have one but would love to pick up another one just in case. it is the one with the metal frame built in but i know they quit making them a few years back.

anyways let me know if anyone happens to have one they dont mind parting with.

reynolds243

sorry i posted this in the wrong classifieds, Mods please move if need be.

stinkpickle

Good luck...those have become quite scarce.  I finally wore mine out.   :'(

customgunsocks

Okay, I have searched everywhee on the internet, there are a million people looking for this vest. One guy said he found one and said he paid an astronomical price for it,
would anyone be kind enough to share some pics of this vest, chair or whatever it is. There is no pics anywhere that I can find. I do belive we can make them.

stinkpickle

Quote from: customgunsocks on January 01, 2012, 06:04:10 PM
Okay, I have searched everywhee on the internet, there are a million people looking for this vest. One guy said he found one and said he paid an astronomical price for it,
would anyone be kind enough to share some pics of this vest, chair or whatever it is. There is no pics anywhere that I can find. I do belive we can make them.

Here's some pics I found floating around in Google world.  There are some variations...I think it's practically the same thing as the Epeard's lounger.  I can send you pics of mine too, if you want 'em.  Mine looks just like the bottom pic...

reynolds243

yup that is it, the key is all in the frame. the actual vest is nothing fancy but by far the most comfortable vest i have ever sat in. I found one last year on ebay but the guy wanted like $180 for it and i was just not willing to pay that. basicly the vest is built to allow you to sit down anywhere without the need of a tree, no more sore backs from a small round tree and you can sit in that thing for HOURS with no issues. I really really dont understand why it is not being sold anymore or why someone else has not taken the design and redid them. I am sure the patent (even if there was one) is out by now. 

I am going to try and find a seamstress around me and see if i can get mine recovered but not sure what that will cost or if possible.

the concept is not really that hard to make if you know someone who can sew and you find a way to make the frame (which would not be tough to do if you have the right tools)

I even thought of making the frame and just getting an old vest and tearing the parts off to make a new version of it.

customgunsocks

Thank you!! That sure cleared up alot. I wish I had one here, I believe i have evrything here to make one.There are some things that pics just cant do, alot of packs getting in the way of getting a good look but that sure helps. Does the seat part have the frame (tubing?)running under it? Im going to see if I can get my hands on one from somewhere. Thanks again!! Tom

reynolds243

No the seat is just strapped on. The frame is in the back and "u" out to where you hold your decoys. It's a pretty simple design really

customgunsocks

Oh, ok.Has enough buckles on it.
Anyone that used to own or does still own one of these, is there anything on this that needs improvement??
Im sure they are copyrightrighted and to make some suttle changes would be good anyway. Also, does anyone remember what the price of these used to be??
well thr little big horn is dead, soon there will be "The Sitting Bull" available.

reynolds243

yeah i have a list of some minor adjustments that would get good. they could have used a lighterweight material, better pocket design and an upgraded strap design. Having said that i still love the one i have.

i bought mine brand new from CK outfitters in TN about 8 years ago for $70, would see them as low as $65 and as high as $85.

Jaymie

customgunsocks

That kind of explains why no one is making them. If they sold for 70 back when the economy wasnt like this, they would be too expensive now to reproduce and the big box stores wouldnt get thier money back they invested.They all deal with China and China has a low limit, like they would have to purchase 1000 of those frames to get them made. we would revamp someof it anyway with our built in roll up pouch, a built in mouth call trifold and some other things. Not sure, probably attach one of our double decoy bags to the back if possible.
The only thing I really need is a few measurments of the actual frame

stinkpickle

My three biggest complaints about it...

1.  The seat cushion was WAY too soft. 
2.  The zippers felt cheap.  They didn't hold up very well.
3.  The buckles that hold the seat cushion out of the way were a pain to re-buckle with one hand.  Some magnets would've been much better.

customgunsocks

Thank you stinkp., thats what I could have guessed. A good quality foam is expensive, I use upholstery foam. Thats funny you mentioned magnets, Im checking into magnets now that are super strong but supposedly small.We will see on that. I ordered some kind of cam release buckle, Im going to try those, that way, just flip up the top and it lets go.

ground control

I have one of those vests. Bought it about eight years ago and it has held up fairly well. I did put a stronger frame in it. I just bought an ol tom vest for a back up and I think there are a few things that could be incorporated to kinda make a hybrid vest. If you want, I'd be happy to work with you on the dimensions of the little big horn vest. May be able to let ya have it for a brief period, just gotta have it back before march 31. PM me if there's anything I can do. Would love to see a version of these vests brought back.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

gobbler777

I am blessed/fortunate to have 2 (two) of these Little Big Horn Outfitters vests and I think they are the BEST. I bought my first one after I saw and tried it at the AMA Show in January of 2001. I have the receipt somewhere but believe I paid about $75. I still have the paperwork and box that it came in.  Have used it every turkey hunt since then. What I liked besides all the necessary pockets and storage was the fact that I could immediately sit down and work a bird without looking for a suitable tree to sit against (it doesn't matter to a gobbler that you are not sitting against a tree). It makes my sits comfortable and can take my 220lb frame fully leaning on it. It also comes in handy when calling for someone as I can sit comfortably on their shoulder and give instructions while they sit against a tree.

I saw two of them for sale on EBay last year for $180 plus and seriously thought about selling one of mine. I intend to be using one of them the rest of my turkey hunting life.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland