OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

help with mossberg maverick 88 choke/loads

Started by fountain, February 18, 2011, 08:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

At the convention now looking to help set up a maverick 88 12 ga for a buddy I work with.  Thinking of going with hevi 13 3/2/6 or possibly 7s, but a little skeptical bout the small shot at longer ranges.   What choke will work good with the 6s??  Not looking to count pellets at 40 on this set up but have a good killing pattern @  40

hookedspur

cant help you with the choke but the 7s will do the job .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

SumToy

660 with Winchester and go around 675 with the HV-13.  That should fix you up.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ncturkey

The Mossberg Mavrick 88 uses the Accu-Choke Tubes. Which is the same choke design has the Standard Invector choke system. I have a buddy who has a Mossberg 500 with the same choke system has your Mavrick 88. I got him a Indian Creek .655 for him to use for lead shot. He did not wait to pay the high price for the Hevi shot stuff. But for the Hevi shot stuff Indian Creek recommends the .660 for Hevishot in Accu-Choke Tubes from what I see on there site. You would need to call them to make sure. But depending on the size of shot and the length of your barrel you may need a more open choke. Like .665 or a .670. I have been told that Bill Davis of Pure Gold shots a Mossberg 500. I am not sure but I think he uses a PG .670 in his Mossberg. You could call either Bill Davis with Pure Gold or Mike Ponder with Indian Creek and tell them what you are planning on shooting and they will give you some ideas on which choke diameter to get. I have chokes from both of these companies. They both are good companies. Both stand behind there products a 100%. One other choke to mention would be the Primos Jellyhead .660 or .665. Good Luck, NC
Quote from: fountain on February 18, 2011, 08:17:21 AM
At the convention now looking to help set up a maverick 88 12 ga for a buddy I work with.  Thinking of going with hevi 13 3/2/6 or possibly 7s, but a little skeptical bout the small shot at longer ranges.   What choke will work good with the 6s??  Not looking to count pellets at 40 on this set up but have a good killing pattern @  40

goblr77

As NCTurkey mentioned, a Pure Gold, IC, or Jellyhead would be good options. A Trulock Precision Hunter choke is another good one. You can call Mr. George and he would be happy to advise you on the constriction. With Hevi 2oz #6's or#7's you should have no problem killing birds at 40 yards with any of these chokes.

VAHUNTER

I would TRY A .670 PG first with H13 3" 2oz #6's. you could also contact Progunner (Bill) and get him to fix you up with a .665 PG.
I believe the .665 would be a great choke for that gun with the bore of the barrel.
Good things come to those who wait

fountain