OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by chatterbox, December 31, 2011, 06:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Pass...I've been passing them over 20 years.  There's no reason to stop now.

gob09

i have'nt been hunting turkeys for a very long time so i might kill him depends on a few things

VaTuRkStOmPeR

[/quote]

would you consider 2oz 6s's Pop to be a ''lethal hunter'' ????    he shot a perfectly legal to take turkey.....i hope we are not getting into the beginning of Q.T.M.   :boon:
[/quote]

I don't know him so I cant comment.

I do know some guys on this site that will show you a very clear definition of what lethal
is once the seasons open.... And most of them won't displaying their lethality with Jake harvests.

chatterbox

Since I posed the question, I'll give you guys my honest answer.
I would also let him walk. For me, the hunt is about the thrill of fooling a mature gobbler. I passed on jakes for the past 2 seasons, and I agree with all of you. He is a legal bird, and if someone wants to punch their tag with him, by all means, go for it. I also don't have a problem with that.
However, after killing longbeards, I just don't get the rush from hammering a jake.
Now if I was coaching my son or another youth or newbie, I would highly encourage them to take the shot. Gotta start somewhere.

Flydown

WildTigerTrout

I would have to say I would encourage my 13 year old son to take the shot since he has never bagged a turkey. I have shot a few jakes in the past when I was new to the game. Nothing like matching wits with "The Old Gobbler" though. I would let him pass.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

longspur

After about 10 years of hunting turks I had never been skunked. Last evening of season a jake came in and I gave him a pass. about 30 min. later just before dark he came back. I shot him just so I wouldn't be skunked. Somehow I still felt skunked. I have no problem with anybody that wants to shoot one. Someday I might shoot another one.

ShotgunDave

Quote from: Gus_13 on January 01, 2012, 03:13:42 AM
Strut. Gobble. Die.

Especially if it's been a tough year.

This.  If I haven't shot anything, then yep.  Boom!

Gobble!

Quote from: 2ounce6s on January 02, 2012, 06:35:08 PM
Some jakes are indeed gifts from above and meant to be shot.
http://youtu.be/LAONKxFlsXc
I'll shut up and will sit down now.

Agree 100%. I have no desire shooting them but I will never tell someone I'm hunting with not to shoot if thats what makes them happy.

decoykrvr

Regardless the numerous scenarios presented, personally, I'd pass.  If you want to shoot jakes, and it's legal, that's your prerogative.  Over the years I've let mature gobblers walk on the last day of the season after getting my gun on them and giving an imaginary "bang".  If they've made it that long, sometimes, and the key word is sometimes, I'll let them walk on the last day, especially if they've put on an entertaining show.

El Pavo Grande

Personally, I would pass even if it's the last day of the season.  But, I fault no one for choosing to shoot a jake.

Gobble!

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 03, 2012, 07:57:32 PM
Regardless the numerous scenarios presented, personally, I'd pass.  If you want to shoot jakes, and it's legal, that's your prerogative.  Over the years I've let mature gobblers walk on the last day of the season after getting my gun on them and giving an imaginary "bang".  If they've made it that long, sometimes, and the key word is sometimes, I'll let them walk on the last day, especially if they've put on an entertaining show.

That is something I can guarantee you I wil NEVER do  :lol:

TauntoHawk

Pass and enjoy the show

last year I ate one of my tags after passing some 2yr olds with 7-8in skinny beards because I knew there were some real nice limb hangers around. I killed 2 nice 3yr+ Toms early and wasnt in a rush to tag out and go home unless it was a big ol warrior..

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

barry

I was in that very situation years ago. It was the last day and I had all of my tags burning a hole in my pocket. 3 jakes came to my setup and 3 jakes were allowed to walk away from my setup.
Not that it's wrong to shoot a jake by any means.
Do what you WANT to do and don't worry what someone else thinks.

Crappiepro

Here in Indiana, we get ONE bearded bird in the spring. If I've hunted hard and its the last day of season "Thats a dead bird!" and I'd be happy to have him. Luckily I've not had to hunt til the last but once in 10yrs so I'm pretty thankful I haven't had to be in this situation.