OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fit to hunt challenge.

Started by Fox Fire, December 29, 2011, 10:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

Started last summer, 242 lbs in July.

191 as of today.

Went from pre-diabetic to off any meds.

Combined cholesterol was never bad at 181, now 140.

Hit the gym at least once a day, sometimes twice a day.

Only problem is that it made me a bit goofy, but nothing a few mood meds can't handle  ;D

Didn't want to end up like my pops, who passed in December, after a long battle with diabetes, kidney failure, etc. after a lifetime of smoking and overall poor upkeep of his health.

I might get hit by a bus today, but at least I'm healthier....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Trevor2

I climbpoles for a living. Power lineman apprentice. So I'm not in horrible shape but hoofin up a mountain in a rush after a thunderchicken tends to get me winded. Too much beer and not eating healthy. I'm not changing that lol but I am running to get back in shape better. Not changing the way I eat, but every lil bit helps.
Strutstopper

redleg06

i made the decision to really start getting back in shape in July. I played college football (offensive line) and after graduating in 2006, was so burnt out on working out that I just quit doing anything (aside from hunting if you want to call that excercise) physical and really didnt change up my diet...when you go from working out like they make you in a D1 football program to doing nothing and your diet doesnt change...you gain weight. Long story short, I got up to about 330lbs at my biggest (I'm 6'5 but still thats way too big) and ended up joining a gym a couple of years ago but never went consistently enough for it to do much good.   

Long story short, this past July, I just kind of made my mind up that I was going to really commit and lose the weight. My sister-inlaw and wife went to some of those group fitness classes at the gym and talked me into going....it's about 95% women in there so at 6'5 and 330lbs, I stuck out like a sore thumb and was real reluctant about going and REALLY committing to the excercises and classes because there's just some things that a 5'5 120lb woman can do that a guy my size wasnt able to do very well.... Anyhow, I started getting to where I knew everyone in these classes after a couple months and now it's like having a support system to keep you accountable. Most of the people that go to those things on a regular basis are in dang good shape and take it pretty seriously so it's added motivation and accountability....they all know my number if I skip and they give me a hard time about it (all in good fun of course but still it holds me accountable to an extent).   Fast forward to today and I'm at 270lbs and about as lean as I've been since I was a junior in highschool and I'm still losing. 

I honestly couldnt care less that I take classes with a bunch of women (better company than a bunch of sweaty dudes for sure :icon_thumright:) and look goofy doing it because it's working for me. I just got done doing a 5:30 a.m spin class as a matter of fact and had it not been a class where I'm a regular, it would have been a lot easier to hit the snooze button and sleep in.

Moral to the story is, if you decide to do it then you can but you just have to find something that works for YOU and then stick to it. For me, I needed to have some accountability to a group.

pullit

I hit the scales a min ago and I got one of my Super Bowl pounds back off. I am down to 253! Hard to believe I can gain 2 pounds over the weekend and it takes to mid week just to loose one!!!
I will not cheat again come the big Daytona race party (at the same place we had the Super Bowl party).

JWC07

Been watchin' this thread since not long after it began because I too am trying to get off some weight... I'd like to jump in and play along with this.

I have a specific reason for leaning up and increasing my fitness but I'm keeping it quiet. However I have had some success since I began around the 2nd or 3rd of Jan.

I have never really ate too bad I just got where I ate too much. However since my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, my wife and I moved in with him, and they told him to eat whatever he wants. He has more daggum junk in the house than anyone on earth should. If he goes to the store his bags look like a 7 year old went shopping with donuts, Little Debbies, cookies, candy, hotdogs etc. I started grabbing one every now and then and it added up. I got up to 213 at one point.

Got an iphone? Get MyFitnessPal app, it has really helped my wife and I on our calorie intake. Plus it's linked to myfitnesspal website and you can use the phone and the computer whichever is more handy.

Really just cutting calories (where the app helped) and kicking out the little bit of junk I started at 209.8 and last Sunday morning I was 195.2. Trying to get to 180 or so. (I'm 34 years old 5'9" and a muscular build) If I get to 180 I will be very lean and mean. Still losing the little bit of weight I have has made it easier for me to exercise. We were given a tradmill the other day and I've been doing 2 miles walk/running 4 days a week. I get winded easily and I didn't want to overdo it out of the gate,  but I can tell a difference and my stamina is building. Best of all I just feel freakin' better.

So this weeks weight:

catrancher

-JWC07
I am 5'8" and currently 195 as well.  Goal weight 175 by Mar. 31 (Texas opening day).  Head to Head?

JWC07

goblr77

I wish I could back away from the table but I still eat with my grandmother everyday at lunch. She gets mad if I don't eat what she's cooked. I don't wanna get hurt.

JWC07

I'd take the extra weight if I could have a chance to eat with my grandmother every day. I'd give anything in the world for her fried chicken, squirrel n' dumplin's or German chocolate cake.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: JWC07 on February 08, 2012, 03:34:39 PM
I'd take the extra weight if I could have a chance to eat with my grandmother every day. I'd give anything in the world for her fried chicken, squirrel n' dumplin's or German chocolate cake.

I'm with you on this, eating with Mom's cooking is getting me thins way. Chief.

pullit

Well I just hit the scales this morning and I am back to where I was last Friday (252). You can bet I will not cheat this weekend like I did last weekend.

PS, anyone that can eat with their Grandma is lucky, mine died when I was 5. You can eat with her but just control your
portion size.

PSS Give her a hug from Pullit  ;)

Neill_Prater

Quote from: pullit on February 09, 2012, 08:43:17 AM

PS, anyone that can eat with their Grandma is lucky, mine died when I was 5. You can eat with her but just control your
portion size

I'll have to second that. Both mine died before I was ever born.

Hunt4Meat

I try to do the treadmill thing 3 times a week after duck season stops here. I figure anything helps climbing the hills in the Ozarks in mid April. Plus I got to be in better shape earlier this year with a trip to Bama at the end of March. I am not going to drive that far and pay that much to get tired after a 5 minute walk.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

pullit

Well I am down another pound today.
251 lbs on 2/10/12
About another 20-25 to go

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!