turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke Tubes for Remington 11-87/31/2"

Started by decoykrvr, December 29, 2011, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

A friend recently purchased a 11-87, 31/2" which he is setting up to hunt turkeys.  He plans to shoot EM Mag-Blends and 7's.  Suggestions on tubes and tapping the receiver to accept the 336 Marlin base for mounting a Burris FF II.  I think he plans on using a Beartooth comb kit, since I've put them on several guns for him and he likes the feel, mounting and sight picture w/ a red dot or scope afforded by the raised comb.  Any other observations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SKFOOTER

The Jellyhead .660 and a Remington 12 gauge barrel were made for the Hevi-13 #7's.

Gobble!

.665 Indian Creek
.670 Pure Gold
.660 Jelly head
.660 Rhino
or a SumToy Choke
Try any of the above and you will be good to go  :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: decoykrvr on December 29, 2011, 02:53:58 PM
A friend recently purchased a 11-87, 31/2" which he is setting up to hunt turkeys.  He plans to shoot EM Mag-Blends and 7's.  Suggestions on tubes and tapping the receiver to accept the 336 Marlin base for mounting a Burris FF II.  I think he plans on using a Beartooth comb kit, since I've put them on several guns for him and he likes the feel, mounting and sight picture w/ a red dot or scope afforded by the raised comb.  Any other observations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

A lot of folks are very happy with the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke with those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

tyelper

Gobble!

Quote from: tyelper on December 30, 2011, 08:51:26 AM
i shoot a 640-645

What kind of choke are you using? Never heard of anyone shooting a choke that tight with a 870.

SumToy

If you do forcing cone work and run 7's you can get by with that small choke.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gobble!

Quote from: SumToy on December 30, 2011, 11:14:50 AM

Good to know thanks!  :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble! on December 30, 2011, 11:55:45 AM
Quote from: SumToy on December 30, 2011, 11:14:50 AM

Good to know thanks!  :icon_thumright:

The SSX has an exit diameter of .643.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

Quote from: Gobble! on December 30, 2011, 09:21:51 AM
Quote from: tyelper on December 30, 2011, 08:51:26 AM
i shoot a 640-645

What kind of choke are you using? Never heard of anyone shooting a choke that tight with a 870.

I have an 870SM with cone work and and old 640 Hastings non ported that shoots very well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Cutt

It can vary depending on his load of choice? But don't overlook the factory tube if he got one with the gun?

I got an 11-87 last year that came with a Wingmaster HD Predator/Turkey tube, which does very well with certain loads.

I actully bought 2 different size Jelly Head tubes, and can honestly say the factory tube out performed the 2 Jellie"s with Hevi 13 3.5, #6's. Not sure about all other loads, but give that tube a look.

If I decide to go with Hevi, 3.5, 6's, I'll probably use the factory tube and sell the 2 Jelly Heads.