turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recoil question

Started by JR, December 24, 2011, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Which would have less recoil?  The 1187 in the compact model or the 870 with one of
the shorter barrels and a knoxx recoil reduction stock?

Thanks.  JR

Dbrnmllr

Semi auto will have less recoil.

maustypsu

Quote from: Dbrnmllr on December 24, 2011, 10:04:56 PM

Not sure it's that simple. May be right in this case as the ejecting and reloading action steals some energy before it gets to your shoulder. But weight and some of these recoil reducing stocks do the same.

gobbler74

The recoil suppression stocks do work to reduce the hard jolt on the shoulder. The 1187 with a good pad isn't bad. Your felt recoil will be different with the shell as well. The nitros and federal hw have hot some punch similar to a 3" 12. Shooting a lighter load like the 1-1/4 oz h13 has less effect on the shoulder with good performance too.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: maustypsu on December 24, 2011, 10:13:45 PM
Quote from: Dbrnmllr on December 24, 2011, 10:04:56 PM

Not sure it's that simple. May be right in this case as the ejecting and reloading action steals some energy before it gets to your shoulder. But weight and some of these recoil reducing stocks do the same.

I know the physics of recoil.  I was saying in this case with the guns given (I have both), the semi auto is more forgiving in regards to recoil.

FullChoke

JR,

How little recoil do you need? The recoil on my unmodified 870 with the Feds HW 3" is a little girls non-event.

:icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

JR

The gun will be for my son and nephew.  I was hoping for as little recoil as possible while still being deadly in the 25-30 yd. range.  I have some TSS 9's I was considering loading.  I just want their experience to be as enjoyable as possible .  Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

JR

FullChoke

This 2-3/4" 20 gauge shell should help with that situation.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=943

These shells will deliver a good killing shot at the ranges that you have mentioned without spooking the kids. Practice shooting with the boys using dove loads and switch to these shells for turkey hunting. They will never feel the difference in the heat of the hunt.

Good luck.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

That's the key right there.  Get them shooting the light stuff and when it comes time to drop the hammer on a live bird, most people won't even remember the shot, let alone feel it.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tiggere

guaranteed they won't even feel the recoil if you put a bird within 25 yards of them...all mine remembers is the flash and me hollering at him to go get his bird...he was shooting a mossy super bantam pump with 3" #5's and he was only 6 at the time...

sugarray

Quote from: JR on December 25, 2011, 09:18:16 PM
The gun will be for my son and nephew.  I was hoping for as little recoil as possible while still being deadly in the 25-30 yd. range.  I have some TSS 9's I was considering loading.  I just want their experience to be as enjoyable as possible .  Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

JR

I loaded 9 for my son this past year and he did great.  Didn't shoot one until shotting his bird, but I have a Knoxx on my 870 and think it is the way to go, especially for LOP.  Also, I like a pump to control when another shell is ready to fire.  My son was 6 at the time and he now weighs 45 lbs.  so he is not a big kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DKA

No comparison, the 1187 less recoil.

Philippe

Almost all of your auto guns will have less recoil than a pump gun. Besides it's a 20ga how much recoil could it possibly have :goofball:

wmd

The semi-auto.  I know my 10 year old son would rather shoot 3" 1550 fps duck loads out of his 11-87 compact than shoot 1/2 oz game loads out of his single shot .410 NEF. 

antnye

The knoxx recoil reducing stocks work pretty well.