OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boy refuses to wrestle girl in State Tournament

Started by Jay, February 17, 2011, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wycliff

Quote from: redleg06 on February 17, 2011, 11:40:33 PM
As a dad,I hope that one day my son has the same kind of conviction to stand for whatever he believes in, even if it means sacrificing something he would like to have.

This :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

bird

Quote from: Shaw24 on February 18, 2011, 08:51:18 AM
As much as we respect him for following what he believes in and standing for it, I guarantee he got made fun of in school big time for not wrestling her. Kids can be pretty cruel to each other.

I doubt very much that he was ridiculed for his stance.  The girl that he was suppose to wrestle is from the town that I live in and even the girls family is standing behind his decision and beliefs.  Again this is not the first time that he has opted to not wrestle her.  Earlier in the season at a dual meet he forfeited that match also.  The news coverage here in Iowa has been very favorable on his behalf.

Solid Snake

Quote from: bird on February 18, 2011, 09:03:46 AM
Quote from: Shaw24 on February 18, 2011, 08:51:18 AM
As much as we respect him for following what he believes in and standing for it, I guarantee he got made fun of in school big time for not wrestling her. Kids can be pretty cruel to each other.

I doubt very much that he was ridiculed for his stance.  The girl that he was suppose to wrestle is from the town that I live in and even the girls family is standing behind his decision and beliefs.  The news coverage here in Iowa has been very favorable on his behalf.

I hope you're right! I guess if he's a wrestler that is qualified to go to state then I doubt too many people would pick on him!

tgs

That's to bad.  We have girls that wrestle here at the youth level and a few go on to compete in high school.  Good that he's willing to stand by his beliefs, too bad 3rd place is his reward, provided he wins all his matches.  With officals knowing this, you would hope that they would place them in opposing brackets or he could always go up or down a weight class.
Pass the Tradition Along

stinkpickle

I feel sorry for her, though.  To make it to state in Iowa is a huge accomplishment.  If I made it and had my opponent forfeit, because of something about me that I couldn't control, I'd be seriously pizzed!

Peck1524

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 18, 2011, 10:35:41 AM
I feel sorry for her, though.  To make it to state in Iowa is a huge accomplishment.  If I made it and had my opponent forfeit, because of something about me that I couldn't control, I'd be seriously pizzed!

I agree with Stinky. The girl was obviously good enough to make it to states. Now if she is able to progress in the tournament it will be because "that boy wouldn't wrestle her".

lightsoutcalls

The young man has the makings of a hero in my book.  Too many folks these days are willing to compromise their beliefs to get ahead.  

Mark 8:36 (The Message)

34-37Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?

I have a feeling this young man knows where his "reward" or "trophies" will be received.

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: redleg06 on February 17, 2011, 11:40:33 PM
As a dad,I hope that one day my son has the same kind of conviction to stand for whatever he believes in, even if it means sacrificing something he would like to have.

Well said x2

Pesonally, JMHO.....and Respectfully.....There should be a girls division if they want in,they should not be wrestleing with young men. 
If any one has attended one of these matches. They will know. These kids try to hurt each outher seriously, and its no place for a girl. Plain and simple!

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ghillie

I'm very proud of him for standing up for what he believes...

There were actually two girls that made it to the state tourney...and your right...for them to get that far in Iowa...says something...