turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boy refuses to wrestle girl in State Tournament

Started by Jay, February 17, 2011, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

For relegious beliefs. Basically he belongs to a branch of the Penecostal relegion that frowns on men being physical with women, in any kind of environment. The boy made his own decision on this, supposedly not influenced by pastor or parents. I'm really mixed on this one. On one hand if a girl is good enough to compete with boys than so be it, however, due to the obvious closeness of the support, and areas involved in grappling, I can see how this could be an issue with some. What do you guys feel about this, and if you have a girl, how would you feel about her competing in the sport?

Crutch

Everybody is prejudice about something and I am no exception. I am totally for girls competing against boys as long as it isn't my daughter in that specific situation. 
In my highschool days I would have jumped at the chance even if I knew she was going to kick my tale, but I respect and admire that young man. We all justify our actions to often and let things go that shouldn't. Just look at what television has become. It is all because of men not holding a standard.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Jay

Sadly he is a lot better wrestler than her, and had a legit chance to do well in State, while she has already been pinned, and out. These kids work their butt off to compete in this Sport all year round, and it's a shame he didn't get a chance because of the situation.

socalturkeyman

I think he should has wrestled,why not the girls parents knew the risk and if its okay with CIF regs than it shouldn't have mattered. If that was my daughter I would have to told her to go for it and try your best. Which I'm sure the parents did. And as for the boy I respect that, but he lost out on a chance to be looked at for hight education. Now thats what I have a problem with,It sad that he missed out on a chance like that. But hopefully next year is different for him. Oh and the girl!
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Hognutz

If it goes against what he believes, then he did the right thing. Obviously, he felt more about his beliefs than his wrestling career. My hats off to him.  :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

knightrider

kudos to the young man for doing what he believes in :icon_thumright:

bird

More to the story is that he is also a youth minister at this church and when Cedar Falls had a match earlier this year with Lin-Mar he forfeited that match to her too.  The young man stands firms in his beliefs and for that you have to respect him for his decision.  He took 3rd in State last year and the best he can do now again this year will also be 3rd.  He is a sophomore so he has allot of school left to accomplish a State Title.

turkey slayer

paladin

"have gun-will travel"

hookedspur

>:( >:( >:( i feel bad for him . I wish he would have faced her on the mat just like he did every other opponent but i know he couldn't.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Crutch

He will not be forgotten as another kid that won something but will always be remembered as a kid with backbone that made a stand for what he believed in. I hope he has a chance to show his stuff next year.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

triune

Being a believer in the Lord is not something you do but something you are.  Wish I had his wisdom when I was a sophomore in HS.
Kenny

Preacher

Romans 8:37

redleg06

As a dad,I hope that one day my son has the same kind of conviction to stand for whatever he believes in, even if it means sacrificing something he would like to have.

Solid Snake

As much as we respect him for following what he believes in and standing for it, I guarantee he got made fun of in school big time for not wrestling her. Kids can be pretty cruel to each other.