OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Gobbler Getters right now

Started by Gus_13, December 21, 2011, 11:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus_13

I am in the process of deciding what to get next but these are my shotguns as of now.  I like pump guns better than autos usually but that may change in the future with an SP-10, but we will see.  I was wondering also if anyone could help out with what camo pattern is on the Benelli Nova.  I think it's Hardwoods Green but not positive.  Thanks!  And any recommendations or pros/cons on the Remington SP-10 would be appreciated as well!  It is between this and the 870 in Bottomland with 26" barrel.

:fud:       :OGani:

Both Benelli Nova and Winchester 1300 Turkey

Winny

Winny Stock

Nova Stock (what's this pattern?)

Both have Kick's Gobblin' Thunder choke tubes in .665.  I shoot Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" #5s out of the Nova with the 24" barrel and same shells in 3" #4s in the Winny.  I'm going to try some more choke/shell options soon.  Thinking of Hevi-Shot and Federal rounds with Flight Control to see what happens.  Thinking about the Tempest choke from Pure Gold.

Thanks guys!

Strut. Gobble. Die.

maustypsu

I've seen that pattern before.  I think it's one of the Real Tree patterns before they got "all fancy."  Something simple like "real tree hardwoods" before they had "real tree hardwoods green all purpose high definition (HG AP HD)"

I hate seeing those 1300's.  I once took a few hours too long confirming a deal for one unfired, NWTF with a beautiful grain in the stock and forearm for $250.  I've spent more than that on bar tabs and have nothing to show for it!!!  I really like the wood on those beauties for a price that you don't mind carrying in the woods.

Gus_13

Quote from: maustypsu on December 21, 2011, 01:31:10 PM
I've seen that pattern before.  I think it's one of the Real Tree patterns before they got "all fancy."  Something simple like "real tree hardwoods" before they had "real tree hardwoods green all purpose high definition (HG AP HD)"

I hate seeing those 1300's.  I once took a few hours too long confirming a deal for one unfired, NWTF with a beautiful grain in the stock and forearm for $250.  I've spent more than that on bar tabs and have nothing to show for it!!!  I really like the wood on those beauties for a price that you don't mind carrying in the woods.

That 1300 is my childhood turkey guy my dad gave to me when I went home for Thanksgiving.  I was getting decoys out and he handed it to me saying I should take it too since it was mine.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Ruger M77

looks like realtree xtra green to me nice winchester I'd love to have one of those
I eat therefore I hunt

Gus_13

Quote from: Ruger M77 on December 21, 2011, 07:43:25 PM
looks like realtree xtra green to me nice winchester I'd love to have one of those

Thanks guys yeah I love that Winchester. Was happy to get it from my parents!

Nice I remember Realtree Xtra Green
Strut. Gobble. Die.

panolaproductions

I have both of those exact same guns. Same pattern wood grain on the 1300 too. My dad too gave it to me a few years ago. He bought it for me when I was born around 1988 to have one day and he kinda broke it in a little bit for me. I think he has killed close to a hundred turkeys with it! I've been looking for a more up to date short pump like that one that feels as good but haven't found one yet. Any suggestions? I'm not a fan of the nova. The pump rattles too much for me.

paradis1142

cannonball

Gus_13

Quote from: cannonball on January 06, 2012, 04:19:31 PM
I love that Winchester. :icon_thumright:

I appreciate it. That's my home protection ha ha.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

Old Gobbler

I shoot the SP10 , I have several chokes - a good one will make a huge difference

Dont bother using a 10 gauge unless you plan on using the Nitros - the newer 12 gauge loads have surpassed all the other standard 10 gauge loads in performance 

There is the new Magblends , when those are available it may/may not rival nitros
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gus_13

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 07, 2012, 12:56:17 AM
I shoot the SP10 , I have several chokes - a good one will make a huge difference

Dont bother using a 10 gauge unless you plan on using the Nitros - the newer 12 gauge loads have surpassed all the other standard 10 gauge loads in performance 

There is the new Magblends , when those are available it may/may not rival nitros

Well now I guess the SP-10 is ruled out at least for a little while.  I picked up the 870 SuperMag Turkey/Waterfowl in Bottomland last week.  So now I have this one to work with haha.  I really like the feel of the 870 which is suprsing because before I didn't.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

Curtdawg88

I have an 870 in the 26" barrel and love it. Give the jellyhead .660 a try with hevishot 3.5 2.25oz #6s. Mine throws incredible patterns with this combo. I've heard the #7s are even more impressive but haven't gotten around to trying them.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

DUCKDIGGLER

Great choice don't forget the PG .670.....mine loves H13 #7s!! Good luck with your new shooting iron!