Neither there sense of smell is the best. :newmascot: ;D

pullit

HARDCORE

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 17, 2011, 08:02:31 PM

Just how are you and Roy related?  :TooFunny:

HC

stilker

I would say their eyes. Ya gotta hide. But their ability to hone in on your exact location from a good distance is amazing.

Flydown

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 17, 2011, 08:02:31 PM

I bet you have a bunch on this stuff! :TooFunny:

OldMarine

Both are perfect.They have to be for a gobbler to survive !
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

Crutch

I'm going with eyes but, I usually assult there ears first and almost never give them anything to see as a warning, so for me, their ears probably win more battles for them than their eyes do but if I was a great caller, then the eyes have it.

I didn't realize their ability to pinpoint sound until last year and had a hen feed down thru a food plot I put out and walk up to the tree I was hiding behind. No calls had been made for ten minutes or more or after she got within 80 yards. She stoped, peaked into the brush then threw a fit with clucks, yelps and all kinds of racket. I sat there motionless and she eventually moved around to get a better 3 demensional view like a deer does when she saw another hen. She went and joined her sister. I understood then why you can get busted so easily if they are not focusing on a decoy. Because they are looking at where that sound came from even though you might not see them.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

unclerick

Diffently vision, I've sat and made noise with hens close enough to spit on and they didn't even pay me any attention but i've nodded my head just slightly and they would take off like a covey of quail, cackleing their little beaks off. I watched them walk up to a tree line and eye ball the heck out a hole for 10min before going in. Eye site is very crucail for them.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

Jay

I'd go with eyes. I've barely moved, and been busted with all camo. I can't say I've ever had that happen with their hearing.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

HOOKS1

It is my opinion that a turkeys hearing is the most amazing ability it has. The ability to course and range the distance for hundreds of yards to just a cluck. The first 10 years I hunted turkeys with no camo and killed them, I just sat in front of a tree. Just don't move.
Their eye sight is also amazing.   

FttFttVroom!

I've been busted way more by my movement than noise.  I've sat withing range of them and talked to fellow hunters about wich one to shoot.  Now, had I pointed one out with my finger......they would be long gone!

Shotgun

Tough one.  I would have to say I worry more about their eyes however.

Basser69

I would have to say their eyes. I am not the best caller in the world by any means. Just anyone that has heard me call but I kill my share of birds.

redleg06

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 17, 2011, 07:25:30 PM
I don't know if their vision is all that exceptional but they are VERY tuned to notice movement.  No movement, they ignore it even at close range.  Their hearing IS extraordinary.  I have on many occurances had birds gobble to soft calls from distances that no human could have possibly heard from even half the distance.  I know they were responding because they came to the calling.  And their ability to not only locate the direction that a call came from but also range it from great distance is amazing.

I agree 100%. 

As long as you sit still you're usually in pretty good shape, even at close range BUT, click that safety off just a little too loud and... :emoticon-cartoon-012: