turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eyes or Ears?

Started by guesswho, February 17, 2011, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Which do you think is better, a turkeys vision or his hearing?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

Interesting question. I've been calling from a palmetto blind, had a hen step out 350 yards away across a field, march across the field and stick her head through the palmetto fronds and look around inside my blind. TRUE STORY!!!!
I'm thinking both senses are the same in detection ability, but the turkeys rely more on vision to warn them of danger than they do sound.

SpitanDrum

I would say vision with hearing a close second. Thank God they don't rely on smell or we would never have a chance.

runngun

Vision, one thing for sure they do not need glasses or contacts   :emoticon-cartoon-012:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

turkey slayer

magicman

Skeeterbait

I don't know if their vision is all that exceptional but they are VERY tuned to notice movement.  No movement, they ignore it even at close range.  Their hearing IS extraordinary.  I have on many occurances had birds gobble to soft calls from distances that no human could have possibly heard from even half the distance.  I know they were responding because they came to the calling.  And their ability to not only locate the direction that a call came from but also range it from great distance is amazing.

CASH

I think their hearing.  While they do have exceptional vision, if it's sitting still I don't think it bothers them.  Kind of like putting up a deer blind.  Until the deer get used to it being there, they know it's out of place for their area.  If it's not moving the turkeys keep doing their thing.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TRKYHTR

Vision. Just listen to some of the calling on these videos and that will tell you it's got to be vision.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

I try to defend against their hearing more than their vision.   I think their eye's are easier fooled than their hearing.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

mossybird

Most deffinatley vision.

ghillie

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 17, 2011, 07:33:58 PM
Vision. Just listen to some of the calling on these videos and that will tell you it's got to be vision.

TRKYHTR
Valid point.  But the same could be said for some of those awful looking decoy's that they will walk right up to :-\
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff