North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage rifles?

Started by wisconsinteacher, December 16, 2011, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you buy a Savage 12 FV for a plinking/target rifle?

Yes
28 (87.5%)
No
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

wisconsinteacher

I am debating getting a new Savage rifle.  I have never owned a Savage and am looking for a new rifle to reload for and shoot small groups with.  I am looking at the Ruger .204.

handcannon

I own an older model Savage in 30-06 and it is a fine rifle. My brother owns a newer model with the accu-trigger in .17 and it's a very accurate rifle as well. For the price range that savage offers most of there rifles in, savage is a really good gun. I dont think you'd be dissapointed in your purchase.

vaturkey

IMO Savage has came a long ways as far as looks & wormanship. I own a Savage 17 HMR & its very accurate. Good Luck !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

HogBiologist

bought my wife a Savage Axis 7mm-08.  Sweet shooting gun.  she loves it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Ruger M77

savage 243 was my first rifle killed a couple deer and a ton of groundhogs with it good shootin rifle
I eat therefore I hunt

hookedspur

I voted no because of a Mod 110 I owned some years back.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Lincoln4

Yes you should.  I love all of mine, very accurate right out of the box.

dirt road ninja

Savage is the most underrated rifle company.

kamski1151

Savage is a darn good rifle. Love mine

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

beagler

I have a Savage 12FV in 22-250 and it is a TACKDRIVER! Don't use it for "plinking" but I do utilize it as a daytime calling rifle for yotes. I put a Boyd's laminate thumbhole stock on it. Only drawback is the weight.
Never Misses

gun for hire

I have owned my 110 in 270 for going on 20 years now, and, although over the years, I have had other rifles, this is the only one I own now.  Because it outshot everything else I bought.  You can't beat the accuracy of a Savage.  Several of my friends have Savages, and all of them like them.  Great gun for the money.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: gun for hire on December 17, 2011, 07:33:54 AM
I have owned my 110 in 270 for going on 20 years now, and, although over the years, I have had other rifles, this is the only one I own now.  Because it outshot everything else I bought.  You can't beat the accuracy of a Savage.  Several of my friends have Savages, and all of them like them.  Great gun for the money.

I have one as well and it is a tack driver when I drive it right. I have shot a clover leaf at 200 yds with it with factory ammo and commonly ( again when I shoot it right) I am touching holes on most shots. Mine is a 110 in .270. My cousin has a one in 30-06 and has always loved his

stinkpickle

I've had a 110 (in 30-06) for about 20 years now.  I've treated it like crap, and it still shoots great.  It likes most ammo...not all...but most.  I finally got around to upgrading the factory trigger (Rifle Basix) last year.  I might have to start handloading to realize its true potential, though.

handcannon

Mine is the model 110 as well in 30-06. Bought it about 15+ years ago at a pawn shop with a Simmons scope on it for $300. I figured I'd end up chunking the cheap Simmons scope but I thought I'd give it a try. Whoever  had it before me had it sighted in just right and I have yet to turn it one click since I bought it. I love the wide TV view in the scope too.

Well, my wife killed her first deer with it about 8 years ago and she claimed it as hers and told me I needed to buy me another rifle. She is not as careful with guns as I am and since she has started using it the gun has acquired quite a few scratches in the finish. I think I may re-finish it after this season.

Only one time did I have a problem with it. The firing pin in the bolt stopped hitting and after tearing down the bolt, I found it was full of carbon. After a whole bunch of carburetor cleaner, I finally got it all out and has been busting deer and hogs since.

mossy835

My dad had a 300 Savage and used it in CA, Utah and Canada. I gave it to one of my drivers in Salinas for his son to use years ago. It took white tail, coyotes, black tail, mule deer, Canadian Black bear, moose and elk during his hunting years and never failed. He always said it was a scabbard model as he hunted from horses for years (to get into the back country). Great gun and very accurate