turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A New Trumpet ... sorta (WITH PICTURES)

Started by 870BkWht, December 12, 2011, 10:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

My father used to be a persistant and sucessful turkey hunter but due to losing his hearing by way of his job as locomotive engineer he no longer goes unless him and I go afield.  Several years ago he struck conversation with a man from SC who was in WV hunting some prestigous public land.  This man traded my father a Billy Buice Cocobolo trumpet complete with brass ferrule and 3 different mouthpieces made from some white type of plastic.  Im not sure whether it is Delrin or not.  This call is really nice and its dated 1999 I believe.  My father traded him a Leon mouthcall for the trumpet.  Long story short, the call was given to me and I was just curious if anyone could shed any light for me on the Billy Buice Trumpet.  I intend on using it this spring along with my other trumpet, but just wanted some history.  

drenalinld

West Augusta

Billy is still around and making calls. I'm sure someone here has his phone number.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

savduck

They are highly sought after. He still makes them. PM Nitro off of this board. Nitro is a trumpet collector and has several of BBs. He is friendly enough to speak with BB regularly. He could probably shed some light on it for you.
Georgia Boy

NCBigShot

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

870BkWht

Updated with a few pictures.  Upon closer inspection,  Im not totally 100% sure its made from Cocobolo.  Someone chime in and please correct me if I am wrong. 

dreis3

I could be wrong, as I'm not all that familiar with different woods, but it kinda looks like east Indian rosewood to me... Anyone else have any thoughts?
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

misfire

You got a fine caller made by a mighty fine gentleman. Mr. Buice makes ( this is my opinion) one of the BEST trumpet yelpers available
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

MarkJM

Quote from: dreis3 on December 14, 2011, 07:27:58 AM
I could be wrong, as I'm not all that familiar with different woods, but it kinda looks like east Indian rosewood to me... Anyone else have any thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. Notice in the grain how there are little specks of open grain, cocobolo doesnt have that. Its an all closed tight grained wood. This definitely looks like rosewood to me.
MuellerCustomCalls

Basser69

Mighty fine looking trumpet!! Congrats on a great caller

bbcustomboxcalls

nitro

Looks like Bolivian Rosewood. Nice caller.

Great story..
Royal Slam 2008