OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 vs. 835 ultimag???

Started by AE_77, December 09, 2011, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresscreek

I have owned both. I killed my first turkey with an 870 wingmaster with a fixed full choke barrel. Great gun and I wish I still had it. I shot an 835 for many years and it kicked like a MULE but it was a turkey killer-patterned great. I bought a Browning Maxxus a couple of years ago to do all of my shotgunning with. You cant go wrong with the 835 as a turkey gun, just beware of the kick!!!
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

VAHUNTER

with the right choke and load combo you can turn ANY mild mannered shotgun into a turkey killing machine. that being said i carry a 835 into the turkey woods every year. there has been soooo much testing done here on OG with the 835. go through and use the search button.you will see how easy it will be to find the choke and load that works with this gun.
Good things come to those who wait

trkehunr93

Quote from: VAHUNTER on December 12, 2011, 04:02:23 PM
with the right choke and load combo you can turn ANY mild mannered shotgun into a turkey killing machine. that being said i carry a 835 into the turkey woods every year. there has been soooo much testing done here on OG with the 835. go through and use the search button.you will see how easy it will be to find the choke and load that works with this gun.

:agreed:
I am still partial to Mossberg shotguns, I am a left handed shooter and I like the ambidextrious safety on the mossbergs.  I wouldn't get rid of my 500 or my 835 for anything.

chatterbox

Quote from: VAHUNTER on December 12, 2011, 04:02:23 PM
He is right. That is why I went with one.  :icon_thumright:

WildTigerTrout

I have owned both. I still have the 870 Super Mag 3.5".  The 835 patterned well but because of the light weight it kicked like a MULE!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Newram05

835 like a mule? I've been kicked by a mule, and that gun kicks harder than that!! Lol

gob09

Quote from: Newram05 on January 08, 2012, 10:34:19 PM
835 like a mule? I've been kicked by a mule, and that gun kicks harder than that!! Lol
i'd almost  2nd that.... the mule that kicked me got in a good shot and it hurt for days

Wingbone

I have both, two 870s and an 835. They are both great pump guns and I get great patterns from both with most factory loads. They do feel vastly different to me in handling though. Maybe because I've used 870s all my life and only recently acquired the 835. You need to feel both, and if possible shoot both before buying.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

AE_77

Well I ended up with an 870 Express. Hopefully this will do just fine for awhile. Anyone have suggestions on chokes and loads?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: AE_77 on January 15, 2012, 06:17:33 PM
Well I ended up with an 870 Express. Hopefully this will do just fine for awhile. Anyone have suggestions on chokes and loads?

It's hard to beat the 870. They are just good guns with lots of options available to customize it the way you want it. I shoot several of them in competition and for hunting.

I'd recommend 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot or #7 shot if you prefer and if it's legal where you hunt.

You have lots of choices for a good turkey choke. I'm seeing excellent results with JEB's chokes, Hevi-13 Chokes, SSX and Wright's. There are others of course that will also work well.

I do recommend that you "deep clean" your barrel. It really helps no matter what choke you choose.

Best of luck to you this spring with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bird on January 15, 2012, 06:40:41 PM
Pure Gold .670

I would agree with that.  Super nice even dense pattern. 

ddturkeyhunter

Shot a lot of turkey (not many compared to some on here) with my 835 love the gun. But had some extra cash so I though I would try the 11-87 can ally sell it if I don't like it better.