OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 vs. 835 ultimag???

Started by AE_77, December 09, 2011, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_77

I was wondering if somebody could tell me the difference in the 2? I am looking to purchase my first turkey gun and also would like to know if i should go with the mossber 835 or the remington 870. My budget is around 300.

thanks

mightyjoeyoung

Same exact gun.  The 835 is, and always will be the 835 Ulti-Mag.
FWIW, for the money, and seeing how the overall quality has gone down as of late with Remington, I would go with the 835...Ulti-Mag ;).  That and it's the best patterning shotgun for turkey and waterfowl you can buy imo...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

redowl

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on December 10, 2011, 10:35:03 AM
Same exact gun.  The 835 is, and always will be the 835 Ulti-Mag...

I don't know about "always will be", but definitely "always has been".   :D

mossy835

I have the 835, my friend has the same gun we both like it and have had no problems. The real issue is how the gun of your choice fits you and your hunting style. From small grouse to turkeys to geese you are covered with both brands but to me the 835 has the edge for now. Good luck and let us know which one you choose.

callmakerman

For what it's worth I own both and have hunted turkey with both. The 870 SP never was worth a crap as a turkey gun for me but is one heck of a deer slug gun. I replaced the 870 with the 835 as my turkey gun and have never looked back.  For me the 835 with a red dot and a kick's choke tube is a turkey killin machine. She may be a little heavy and kicks like a mule with federal 3 1/2 loads but dead turkeys is what it's all about and this gun will pile them up for you.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: stinkpickle on December 10, 2011, 01:25:59 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on December 10, 2011, 10:35:03 AM
Same exact gun.  The 835 is, and always will be the 835 Ulti-Mag...

I don't know about "always will be", but definitely "always has been".   :D

Good point!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

SumToy

Both are good guns.  I think the 835 will put up better numbers but it will have a bigger kick also.  Now pick the one that fits you the best and is more in the money range if you find used and have fun. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Never shot an 870, so I can't comment on them. I do know alot of guys really like them, but I have to admit when I went to upgrade my 535 Mossberg, the only gun I looked at was the 835 Mossberg.
I have'nt been dissapointed. Patterns exceptionally well, and I can't wait to get my EOTech 512 on top of her! :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

835 all the way,hands down the best turkey gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I've owned both.  I still own an 870.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I still own both.  I'll tell it like it is.  I still think the 870 is one of the best pumps ever built especially the Wingmasters.  The Express is still a very good pump.  Mine shoots very well.  The Moss 835 is a good shotgun in my eyes.  And it's no doubt the best shooting shotgun I have ever owned.  Both are excellent turkey guns. 

gob09

the 835 is a better gun in my opinion i've shot an 835 but ended up with a 935  they both have the same barrel and will put good patterns on paper